Dead zones in colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics: evidence and implications
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-I1-009-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn order to fabricate photovoltaic (PV) cells incorporating light-trapping electrodes, flexible foil substrates, or more than one junction, illumination through the top-contact (i.e.: non-substrate) side of a photovoltaic device is desirable. We investigate the relative collection efficiency for illumination through the top vs. bottom of PbS colloidal quantum dot (CQD) PV devices. The external quantum efficiency spectra of FTO/TiO2/PbS CQD/ITO PV devices with various PbS layer thicknesses were measured for illumination through either the top (ITO) or bottom (FTO) contacts. By comparing the relative shapes and intensities of these spectra with those calculated from an estimation of the carrier generation profile and the internal quantum efficiency as a function of distance from the TiO2 interface in the devices, a substantial dead zone, where carrier extraction is dramatically reduced, is identified near the ITO top contact. The implications for device design, and possible means of avoiding the formation of such a dead zone, are discussed.
CitationBarkhouse DAR, Kramer IJ, Wang X, Sargent EH (2010) Dead zones in colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics: evidence and implications. Optics Express 18: A451. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.18.00A451.
SponsorsThis publication was supported in part by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Award No. KUS-I1-009-21.
PublisherThe Optical Society
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Improved current extraction from ZnO/PbS quantum dot heterojunction photovoltaics using a MoO3 interfacial layer.
- Authors: Brown PR, Lunt RR, Zhao N, Osedach TP, Wanger DD, Chang LY, Bawendi MG, Bulović V
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13
- Depleted-heterojunction colloidal quantum dot solar cells.
- Authors: Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Kramer IJ, Barkhouse AR, Wang X, Konstantatos G, Debnath R, Levina L, Raabe I, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Enhanced open-circuit voltage in visible quantum dot photovoltaics by engineering of carrier-collecting electrodes.
- Authors: Wang X, Koleilat GI, Fischer A, Tang J, Debnath R, Levina L, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Thiols passivate recombination centers in colloidal quantum dots leading to enhanced photovoltaic device efficiency.
- Authors: Barkhouse DA, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Levina L, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 25
- Enhanced mobility-lifetime products in PbS colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics.
- Authors: Jeong KS, Tang J, Liu H, Kim J, Schaefer AW, Kemp K, Levina L, Wang X, Hoogland S, Debnath R, Brzozowski L, Sargent EH, Asbury JB
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 24