Cyclic Loading of Growing Tissue in a Bioreactor: Mathematical Model and Asymptotic Analysis
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
Online Publication Date2013-10-24
Print Publication Date2013-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597916
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA simplified 2D mathematical model for tissue growth within a cyclically-loaded tissue engineering scaffold is presented and analyzed. Such cyclic loading has the potential to improve yield and functionality of tissue such as bone and cartilage when grown on a scaffold within a perfusion bioreactor. The cyclic compression affects the flow of the perfused nutrient, leading to flow properties that are inherently unsteady, though periodic, on a timescale short compared with that of tissue proliferation. A two-timescale analysis based on these well-separated timescales is exploited to derive a closed model for the tissue growth on the long timescale of proliferation. Some sample numerical results are given for the final model, and discussed. © 2013 Society for Mathematical Biology.
CitationPohlmeyer JV, Cummings LJ (2013) Cyclic Loading of Growing Tissue in a Bioreactor: Mathematical Model and Asymptotic Analysis. Bull Math Biol 75: 2450–2473. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11538-013-9902-x.
SponsorsBoth authors acknowledge partial financial support from KAUST under Award No. KUK-C1-013-04 in the form of OCCAM Visiting Fellowships. We thank Drs Treena Arinzeh, Shahriar Afkhami, Michael Siegel (NJIT), and Sarah Waters (Oxford) for useful guidance with the development and numerical solution of the model.
JournalBulletin of Mathematical Biology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- A mathematical model and computational framework for three-dimensional chondrocyte cell growth in a porous tissue scaffold placed inside a bi-directional flow perfusion bioreactor.
- Authors: Shakhawath Hossain M, Bergstrom DJ, Chen XB
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- A continuum model of cell proliferation and nutrient transport in a perfusion bioreactor.
- Authors: Shakeel M, Matthews PC, Graham RS, Waters SL
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- A multiphysics/multiscale 2D numerical simulation of scaffold-based cartilage regeneration under interstitial perfusion in a bioreactor.
- Authors: Sacco R, Causin P, Zunino P, Raimondi MT
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Mathematical model of growth factor driven haptotaxis and proliferation in a tissue engineering scaffold.
- Authors: Pohlmeyer JV, Waters SL, Cummings LJ
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Scaffold-free cartilage by rotational culture for tissue engineering.
- Authors: Furukawa KS, Imura K, Tateishi T, Ushida T
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 1