Cumulative distribution functions associated with bubble-nucleation processes in cavitation
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-I1-005-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBubble-nucleation processes of a Lennard-Jones liquid are studied by molecular dynamics simulations. Waiting time, which is the lifetime of a superheated liquid, is determined for several system sizes, and the apparent finite-size effect of the nucleation rate is observed. From the cumulative distribution function of the nucleation events, the bubble-nucleation process is found to be not a simple Poisson process but a Poisson process with an additional relaxation time. The parameters of the exponential distribution associated with the process are determined by taking the relaxation time into account, and the apparent finite-size effect is removed. These results imply that the use of the arithmetic mean of the waiting time until a bubble grows to the critical size leads to an incorrect estimation of the nucleation rate. © 2010 The American Physical Society.
CitationWatanabe H, Suzuki M, Ito N (2010) Cumulative distribution functions associated with bubble-nucleation processes in cavitation. Phys Rev E 82. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.82.051604.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank S. Takagi and T. Komatsu for fruitful discussions and S. Sasa for valuable comments. This work was partially supported by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Contract No. 19740235) and by KAUST GRP (Grant No. KUK-I1-005-04). The computation was partly carried out using the facilities of the Supercomputer Center, Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo and the Research Institute for Information Technology, Kyushu University.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Spontaneous cavitation in a Lennard-Jones liquid at negative pressures.
- Authors: Baidakov VG, Bobrov KS
- Issue date: 2014 May 14
- Direct simulations of homogeneous bubble nucleation: Agreement with classical nucleation theory and no local hot spots.
- Authors: Diemand J, Angélil R, Tanaka KK, Tanaka H
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Homogeneous bubble nucleation driven by local hot spots: a molecular dynamics study.
- Authors: Wang ZJ, Valeriani C, Frenkel D
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 26
- Spontaneous cavitation in a Lennard-Jones liquid: Molecular dynamics simulation and the van der Waals-Cahn-Hilliard gradient theory.
- Authors: Baidakov VG
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 21
- Bubble evolution and properties in homogeneous nucleation simulations.
- Authors: Angélil R, Diemand J, Tanaka KK, Tanaka H
- Issue date: 2014 Dec