Crystalline-Amorphous Core−Shell Silicon Nanowires for High Capacity and High Current Battery Electrodes
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597907
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilicon is an attractive alloy-type anode material for lithium ion batteries because of its highest known capacity (4200 mAh/g). However silicon's large volume change upon lithium insertion and extraction, which causes pulverization and capacity fading, has limited its applications. Designing nanoscale hierarchical structures is a novel approach to address the issues associated with the large volume changes. In this letter, we introduce a core-shell design of silicon nanowires for highpower and long-life lithium battery electrodes. Silicon crystalline- amorphous core-shell nanowires were grown directly on stainless steel current collectors by a simple one-step synthesis. Amorphous Si shells instead of crystalline Si cores can be selected to be electrochemically active due to the difference of their lithiation potentials. Therefore, crystalline Si cores function as a stable mechanical support and an efficient electrical conducting pathway while amorphous shells store Li ions. We demonstrate here that these core-shell nanowires have high charge storage capacity (̃1000 mAh/g, 3 times of carbon) with ̃90% capacity retention over 100 cycles. They also show excellent electrochemical performance at high rate charging and discharging (6.8 A/g, ̃20 times of carbon at 1 h rate). © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationCui L-F, Ruffo R, Chan CK, Peng H, Cui Y (2009) Crystalline-Amorphous Core−Shell Silicon Nanowires for High Capacity and High Current Battery Electrodes. Nano Lett 9: 491–495. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl8036323.
SponsorsY.C. acknowledges support from the Global Climate and Energy Project at Stanford, U.S. Office of Naval Research and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. C.K.C. acknowledges support from a National Science Foundation graduate fellowship and Stanford Graduate Fellowship.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Carbon-silicon core-shell nanowires as high capacity electrode for lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Cui LF, Yang Y, Hsu CM, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Graphene enhances Li storage capacity of porous single-crystalline silicon nanowires.
- Authors: Wang XL, Han WQ
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Fabrication of ordered NiO coated Si nanowire array films as electrodes for a high performance lithium ion battery.
- Authors: Qiu MC, Yang LW, Qi X, Li J, Zhong JX
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- High-performance lithium battery anodes using silicon nanowires.
- Authors: Chan CK, Peng H, Liu G, McIlwrath K, Zhang XF, Huggins RA, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Si/TiSi2 Heteronanostructures as high-capacity anode material for li ion batteries.
- Authors: Zhou S, Liu X, Wang D
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 10