Crystal Structure of Methylornithine Synthase (PylB): Insights into the Pyrrolysine Biosynthesis
KAUST Grant NumberFIC/2010/07
Online Publication Date2011-11-16
Print Publication Date2012-02-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597905
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMade by the barrel load: The biosynthetic pathway of the recently discovered 22nd amino acid, pyrrolysine, starts with an isomerization of lysine to methylornithine, catalyzed by PylB. The X-ray crystal structure of PylB is determined (see picture) and shows it has a TIM barrel fold. The sealed central cavity contains a [4Fe-4S] cluster, S-adenosylmethionine (SAM), and methylornithine, whose 2R,3R configuration could be confirmed. The data suggest a fragmentation-recombination mechanism via a glycyl radical intermediate. Copyright © 2012 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationQuitterer F, List A, Eisenreich W, Bacher A, Groll M (2011) Crystal Structure of Methylornithine Synthase (PylB): Insights into the Pyrrolysine Biosynthesis. Angew Chem Int Ed 51: 1339–1342. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201106765.
SponsorsWe thank Sophie Vieweg for experimental support and the staff of PXI of Paul Scherrer Institute, Swiss Light Source (Villigen, Switzerland) for help with data collection. This work was supported by the Hans-Fischer-Gesellschaft and by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Award No. FIC/2010/07).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Biosynthesis of the 22nd genetically encoded amino acid pyrrolysine: structure and reaction mechanism of PylC at 1.5Å resolution.
- Authors: Quitterer F, List A, Beck P, Bacher A, Groll M
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 14
- The complete biosynthesis of the genetically encoded amino acid pyrrolysine from lysine.
- Authors: Gaston MA, Zhang L, Green-Church KB, Krzycki JA
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 31
- Reactivity and chemical synthesis of L-pyrrolysine- the 22(nd) genetically encoded amino acid.
- Authors: Hao B, Zhao G, Kang PT, Soares JA, Ferguson TK, Gallucci J, Krzycki JA, Chan MK
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- A new UAG-encoded residue in the structure of a methanogen methyltransferase.
- Authors: Hao B, Gong W, Ferguson TK, James CM, Krzycki JA, Chan MK
- Issue date: 2002 May 24
- Genetic code: introducing pyrrolysine.
- Authors: Ibba M, Söll D
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 9