Crowded, Confined, and Frustrated: Dynamics of Molecules Tethered to Nanoparticles
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbove a critical chemistry-dependent molecular weight, all polymer molecules entangle and, as a result, exhibit slow dynamics, enhanced viscosity, and elasticity. Herein we report on the dynamics of low molecular weight polymers tethered to nanoparticles and find that even conventionally unentangled chains manifest dynamical features similar to entangled, long-chain molecules. Our findings are shown to imply that crowding and confinement of polymers on particles produce topological constraints analogous to those in entangled systems. © 2012 American Physical Society.
CitationAgarwal P, Kim SA, Archer LA (2012) Crowded, Confined, and Frustrated: Dynamics of Molecules Tethered to Nanoparticles. Physical Review Letters 109. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.109.258301.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Science Foundation Grant No. DMR-1006323 and by Grant No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Facilities available though the Cornell Center for Materials Research (CCMR) were used for this study.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Entropic attraction: Polymer compaction and expansion induced by nano-particles in confinement.
- Authors: Liao GJ, Chien FT, Luzhbin D, Chen YL
- Issue date: 2015 May 7
- Phase stability and dynamics of entangled polymer-nanoparticle composites.
- Authors: Mangal R, Srivastava S, Archer LA
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 5
- Dynamic structure of unentangled polymer chains in the vicinity of non-attractive nanoparticles.
- Authors: Li Y, Kröger M, Liu WK
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 21
- Molecular dynamics of spherical nanoparticles in dense polymer melts.
- Authors: Patti A
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 3
- Size-Dependent Particle Dynamics in Entangled Polymer Nanocomposites.
- Authors: Mangal R, Srivastava S, Narayanan S, Archer LA
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 19