Converse Piezoelectric Effect Induced Transverse Deflection of a Free-Standing ZnO Microbelt
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate the first electric field induced transverse deflection of a single-crystal, free-standing ZnO microbelt as a result of converse piezoelectric effect. For a microbelt growing along the c-axis, a shear stress in the a-c plane can be induced when an electric field E is applied along the a-axis of the wurtzite structure. As amplified by the large aspect ratio of the microbelt that grows along the c-axis, the strain localized near the root can be detected via the transverse deflection perpendicular to the ZnO microbelt. After an experimental approach was carefully designed and possible artifacts were ruled out, the experimentally observed degree of deflection of the microbelt agrees well with the theoretically expected result. The device demonstrated has potential applications as transverse actuators/sensors/switches and electric field induced mechanical deflectors. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationHu Y, Gao Y, Singamaneni S, Tsukruk VV, Wang ZL (2009) Converse Piezoelectric Effect Induced Transverse Deflection of a Free-Standing ZnO Microbelt. Nano Lett 9: 2661–2665. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl901102k.
SponsorsResearch supported by DARPA (Army/AMCOM/REDSTONE AR, W31P4Q-08-1-0009), BES DOE (DE-FG02-07ER46394), Air Force Office (FA9550-08-1-0446), DARPA/ARO W911NF-08-1-0249, KAUST Global Research Partnership, World Premier International Research Center (WPI) Initiative on Materials Nanoarchitectonics, MEXT, Japan, and NSF (DMS 0706436, CMMI 0403671).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- High-yield self-assembly of flower-like ZnO nanostructures.
- Authors: Jiang L, Feng X, Zhai J, Jin M, Song Y, Zhu D
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Pyramidal nanostructures of zinc oxide.
- Authors: Angappane S, John NS, Kulkarni GU
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- A novel logic switch based on individual ZnO nanotetrapods.
- Authors: Sun K, Qi J, Zhang Q, Yang Y, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Bulk acoustic resonator based on piezoelectric ZnO belts.
- Authors: Buchine BA, Hughes WL, Degertekin FL, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- UV and humidity sensing properties of ZnO nanorods prepared by the arc discharge method.
- Authors: Fang F, Futter J, Markwitz A, Kennedy J
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 17