Control of Electron Transfer from Lead-Salt Nanocrystals to TiO 2
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597855
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe roles of solvent reorganization energy and electronic coupling strength on the transfer of photoexcited electrons from PbS nanocrystals to TiO 2 nanoparticles are investigated. We find that the electron transfer depends only weakly on the solvent, in contrast to the strong dependence in the nanocrystal-molecule system. This is ascribed to the larger size of the acceptor in this system, and is accounted for by Marcus theory. The electronic coupling of the PbS and TiO 2 is varied by changing the length, aliphatic and aromatic structure, and anchor groups of the linker molecules. Shorter linker molecules consistently lead to faster electron transfer. Surprisingly, linker molecules of the same length but distinct chemical structures yield similar electron transfer rates. In contrast, the electron transfer rate can vary dramatically with different anchor groups. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationHyun B-R, Bartnik AC, Sun L, Hanrath T, Wise FW (2011) Control of Electron Transfer from Lead-Salt Nanocrystals to TiO 2 . Nano Lett 11: 2126–2132. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl200718w.
SponsorsThe authors thank Professor Masa-aki Haga (Chuo University, Japan) for providing MBPA. This work was supported by the Cornell Center for Materials Research (CCMR) with funding from the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center program of the National Science Foundation (cooperative agreement DMR 0520404) and in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Electron injection from colloidal PbS quantum dots into titanium dioxide nanoparticles.
- Authors: Hyun BR, Zhong YW, Bartnik AC, Sun L, Abruña HD, Wise FW, Goodreau JD, Matthews JR, Leslie TM, Borrelli NF
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 25
- Role of solvent dielectric properties on charge transfer from PbS nanocrystals to molecules.
- Authors: Hyun BR, Bartnik AC, Lee JK, Imoto H, Sun L, Choi JJ, Chujo Y, Hanrath T, Ober CK, Wise FW
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Photoinduced electron transfer from phycoerythrin to colloidal metal semiconductor nanoparticles.
- Authors: Kathiravan A, Chandramohan M, Renganathan R, Sekar S
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Heteroepitaxial growth of colloidal nanocrystals onto substrate films via hot-injection routes.
- Authors: Acharya KP, Khon E, O'Connor T, Nemitz I, Klinkova A, Khnayzer RS, Anzenbacher P, Zamkov M
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 28
- Unstable single-layered colloidal TiS2 nanodisks.
- Authors: Park KH, Choi J, Kim HJ, Oh DH, Ahn JR, Son SU
- Issue date: 2008 Jul