Conformal Organohalide Perovskites Enable Lasing on Spherical Resonators
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-009-21
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2014 American Chemical Society. Conformal integration of semiconductor gain media is broadly important in on-chip optical communication technology. Here we deploy atomic layer deposition to create conformally deposited organohalide perovskites-an attractive semiconducting gain medium-with the goal of achieving coherent light emission on spherical optical cavities. We demonstrate the high quality of perovskite gain media fabricated with this method, achieving optical gain in the nanosecond pulse regime with a threshold for amplified spontaneous emission of 65 ± 8 μJ cm-2. Through variable stripe length measurements, we report a net modal gain of 125 ± 22 cm-1 and a gain bandwidth of 50 ± 14 meV. Leveraging the high quality of the gain medium, we conformally coat silica microspheres with perovskite to form whispering gallery mode optical cavities and achieve lasing.
CitationSutherland BR, Hoogland S, Adachi MM, Wong CTO, Sargent EH (2014) Conformal Organohalide Perovskites Enable Lasing on Spherical Resonators. ACS Nano 8: 10947–10952. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn504856g.
SponsorsThis publication is based in part on work supported by an award (KUS-11-009-21) from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), by the Ontario Research Fund Research Excellence Program and by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada. The authors thank S. Boccia for FIB and SEM imaging of ALD perovskite-coated microspheres, and S.-R. Jean for help with figure art.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Low-threshold amplified spontaneous emission and lasing from colloidal nanocrystals of caesium lead halide perovskites.
- Authors: Yakunin S, Protesescu L, Krieg F, Bodnarchuk MI, Nedelcu G, Humer M, De Luca G, Fiebig M, Heiss W, Kovalenko MV
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 20
- Room-temperature near-infrared high-Q perovskite whispering-gallery planar nanolasers.
- Authors: Zhang Q, Ha ST, Liu X, Sum TC, Xiong Q
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 8
- Periodic Organic-Inorganic Halide Perovskite Microplatelet Arrays on Silicon Substrates for Room-Temperature Lasing.
- Authors: Liu X, Niu L, Wu C, Cong C, Wang H, Zeng Q, He H, Fu Q, Fu W, Yu T, Jin C, Liu Z, Sum TC
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- [The precise assignment of whispering gallery modes for lasing spectra emitting from cylindrical micro-cavities].
- Authors: Wang DL, Jiang N, Jiang LQ, Zhang ZL, Pu XY
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Simple Approach to Improving the Amplified Spontaneous Emission Properties of Perovskite Films.
- Authors: Li J, Si J, Gan L, Liu Y, Ye Z, He H
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 7