Comparison of complex effluent treatability in different bench scale microbial electrolysis cells
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-003-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597811
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA range of wastewaters and substrates were examined using mini microbial electrolysis cells (mini MECs) to see if they could be used to predict the performance of larger-scale cube MECs. COD removals and coulombic efficiencies corresponded well between the two reactor designs for individual samples, with 66-92% of COD removed for all samples. Current generation was consistent between the reactor types for acetate (AC) and fermentation effluent (FE) samples, but less consistent with industrial (IW) and domestic wastewaters (DW). Hydrogen was recovered from all samples in cube MECs, but gas composition and volume varied significantly between samples. Evidence for direct conversion of substrate to methane was observed with two of the industrial wastewater samples (IW-1 and IW-3). Overall, mini MECs provided organic treatment data that corresponded well with larger scale reactor results, and therefore it was concluded that they can be a useful platform for screening wastewater sources. © 2014 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationUllery ML, Logan BE (2014) Comparison of complex effluent treatability in different bench scale microbial electrolysis cells. Bioresource Technology 170: 530–537. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2014.08.028.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Air Products and Chemicals Inc. (APCI) and Pin-Ching Maness and Lauren Magnusson at the National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) for providing effluent samples. This work was supported by Department of Energy Cooperative Agreement DE-EE0005750 and award KUS-11-003-13 from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Treatability studies on different refinery wastewater samples using high-throughput microbial electrolysis cells (MECs).
- Authors: Ren L, Siegert M, Ivanov I, Pisciotta JM, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Production of hydrogen from domestic wastewater in a pilot-scale microbial electrolysis cell.
- Authors: Heidrich ES, Dolfing J, Scott K, Edwards SR, Jones C, Curtis TP
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Reduced energy consumption during low strength domestic wastewater treatment in a semi-pilot tubular microbial electrolysis cell.
- Authors: Gil-Carrera L, Escapa A, Moreno R, Morán A
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 15
- Examination of protein degradation in continuous flow, microbial electrolysis cells treating fermentation wastewater.
- Authors: Nam JY, Yates MD, Zaybak Z, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2014 Nov