KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a recent paper, Valdès-Parada and Alvarez-Ramirez used the technique of volume averaging to derive a "frequency-dependent" dispersion tensor, Dγ*, the goal of which is to describe solute transport in porous media undergoing periodic processes. We describe two issues related to this dispersion tensor. First, we demonstrate that the definition of Dγ* is erroneous and derive a corrected version, Dγ*c. With this modification, the approach of Valdès-Parada and Alvarez-Ramirez becomes strictly equivalent to the one devised by Moyne. Second, we show that the term "frequency-dependent dispersion" is misleading because Dγ* and Dγ*c do not depend on the process operating frequency, χ. The study carried out by Valdès-Parada and Alvarez-Ramirez represents a spectral analysis of the relaxation of Dγ* towards its steady-state, independent of any periodic operation or excitation. © 2012 American Physical Society.
CitationDavit Y, Quintard M (2012) Comment on “Frequency-dependent dispersion in porous media.” Phys Rev E 86. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.86.013201.
SponsorsThe authors would like to acknowledge the many valuable suggestions made by Helen Byrne. This publication was based on work supported in part by Award No. KUK-C1-013-04 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Frequency-dependent dispersion in porous media.
- Authors: Valdés-Parada FJ, Alvarez-Ramirez J
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Predictive model of solute transport with reversible adsorption in spatially periodic hierarchical porous media.
- Authors: Yan X, Wang Q, Li N
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 14
- Hydrodynamic dispersion within porous biofilms.
- Authors: Davit Y, Byrne H, Osborne J, Pitt-Francis J, Gavaghan D, Quintard M
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Dispersive transport and symmetry of the dispersion tensor in porous media.
- Authors: Pride SR, Vasco DW, Flekkoy EG, Holtzman R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Langevin model for reactive transport in porous media.
- Authors: Tartakovsky AM
- Issue date: 2010 Aug