AuthorsKramer, Illan J.
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-009-21
Online Publication Date2011-10-12
Print Publication Date2011-11-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597796
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractColloidal quantum dots (CQDs) offer a path toward high-efficiency photovoltaics based on low-cost materials and processes. Spectral tunability via the quantum size effect facilitates absorption of specific wavelengths from across the sun's broad spectrum. CQD materials' ease of processing derives from their synthesis, storage, and processing in solution. Rapid advances have brought colloidal quantum dot photovoltaic solar power conversion efficiencies of 6% in the latest reports. These achievements represent important first steps toward commercially compelling performance. Here we review advances in device architecture and materials science. We diagnose the principal phenomenon-electronic states within the CQD film band gap that limit both current and voltage in devices-that must be cured for CQD PV devices to fulfill their promise. We close with a prescription, expressed as bounds on the density and energy of electronic states within the CQD film band gap, that should allow device efficiencies to rise to those required for the future of the solar energy field. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationKramer IJ, Sargent EH (2011) Colloidal Quantum Dot Photovoltaics: A Path Forward. ACS Nano 5: 8506–8514. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn203438u.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work in part supported by Award No. KUS-11-009-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). I.J.K. acknowledges the financial support through the Queen Elizabeth II/Ricoh Canada Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Depleted-heterojunction colloidal quantum dot solar cells.
- Authors: Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Kramer IJ, Barkhouse AR, Wang X, Konstantatos G, Debnath R, Levina L, Raabe I, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Enhanced mobility-lifetime products in PbS colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics.
- Authors: Jeong KS, Tang J, Liu H, Kim J, Schaefer AW, Kemp K, Levina L, Wang X, Hoogland S, Debnath R, Brzozowski L, Sargent EH, Asbury JB
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 24
- Infrared Colloidal Quantum Dot Photovoltaics via Coupling Enhancement and Agglomeration Suppression.
- Authors: Ip AH, Kiani A, Kramer IJ, Voznyy O, Movahed HF, Levina L, Adachi MM, Hoogland S, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 22
- Infrared colloidal quantum dots for photovoltaics: fundamentals and recent progress.
- Authors: Tang J, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 4
- Efficient, stable infrared photovoltaics based on solution-cast colloidal quantum dots.
- Authors: Koleilat GI, Levina L, Shukla H, Myrskog SH, Hinds S, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2008 May