Cluster-cluster aggregation of Ising dipolar particles under thermal noise
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-I1-005-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cluster-cluster aggregation processes of Ising dipolar particles under thermal noise are investigated in the dilute condition. As the temperature increases, changes in the typical structures of clusters are observed from chainlike (D1) to crystalline (D2) through fractal structures (D1.45), where D is the fractal dimension. By calculating the bending energy of the chainlike structure, it is found that the transition temperature is associated with the energy gap between the chainlike and crystalline configurations. The aggregation dynamics changes from being dominated by attraction to diffusion involving changes in the dynamic exponent z=0.2 to 0.5. In the region of temperature where the fractal clusters grow, different growth rates are observed between charged and neutral clusters. Using the Smoluchowski equation with a twofold kernel, this hetero-aggregation process is found to result from two types of dynamics: the diffusive motion of neutral clusters and the weak attractive motion between charged clusters. The fact that changes in structures and dynamics take place at the same time suggests that transitions in the structure of clusters involve marked changes in the dynamics of the aggregation processes. © 2009 The American Physical Society.
CitationSuzuki M, Kun F, Ito N (2009) Cluster-cluster aggregation of Ising dipolar particles under thermal noise. Phys Rev E 80. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.80.021402.
SponsorsThe authors thank T. Shimada and H. Watanabe for fruitful discussions. The present study was supported by the 21st COE program, "Frontiers of Computational Science," Nagoya University, and by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Contract No. 19340110) from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and by KAUST GRP(KUK-I1-005-04). F. K. was supported by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review E
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Structure transition in cluster-cluster aggregation under external fields
- Authors: Tan ZJ, Zou XW, Zhang WB, Jin ZZ
- Issue date: 2000 Jul
- Attraction-limited cluster-cluster aggregation of Ising dipolar particles.
- Authors: Yoshioka N, Varga I, Kun F, Yukawa S, Ito N
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Structure formation from mesoscopic soft particles.
- Authors: Fernández-Nieves A, van Duijneveldt JS, Fernández-Barbero A, Vincent B, de las Nieves FJ
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Dependence of fractal dimension of DLCA clusters on size of primary particles.
- Authors: Wu H, Lattuada M, Morbidelli M
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Detailed model of the aggregation event between two fractal clusters.
- Authors: Lattuada M, Wu H, Sefcik J, Morbidelli M
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 6