Chemoselective Switch in the Asymmetric Organocatalysis of 5 H -Oxazol-4-ones and N -Itaconimides: Addition-Protonation or [4+2] Cycloaddition
Coote, Michelle L.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597772
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim. We report a synthetic strategy for a chemoselective switch and a diastereo-divergent approach for the asymmetric reaction of 5H-oxazol-4-ones and N-itaconimides catalyzed by L-tert-leucine-derived tertiary amine-urea compounds. The reaction was modulated to harness either tandem conjugate addition-protonation or [4+2] cycloaddition as major product with excellent enantio- and diastereoselectivities. Subjecting the enantio-enriched cycloaddition products to a basic silica gel reagent yields the diastereomer vis-à-vis the product directly obtained under conditions for addition-protonation, thus opening a diastereo-divergent route for creating 1,3-tertiary-hetero-quaternary stereocenters. Quantum chemical studies further provide stereochemical analysis for the [4+2] process and a plausible mechanism for this chemoselective switch is proposed.
CitationZhu B, Lee R, Li J, Ye X, Hong S-N, et al. (2015) Chemoselective Switch in the Asymmetric Organocatalysis of 5 H -Oxazol-4-ones and N -Itaconimides: Addition-Protonation or [4+2] Cycloaddition . Angew Chem Int Ed 55: 1299–1303. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201507796.
SponsorsZ.J. is grateful for the grants from NSFC (grant number21072044), NCET-11-0938 and the Program for InnovativeResearch Team from the University of Henan Province(14IRTSTHN006). M.L.C. gratefully acknowledges generousallocations of supercomputing time on the National Facility ofthe National Computational Infrastructure, and financialsupport from the Australian Research Council. R.L. alsoacknowledges Dr. Xiaohe Miao (KAUST) for supplementarycomputing time.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Highly chemo-, enantio-, and diastereoselective [4 + 2] cycloaddition of 5<i>H</i>-thiazol-4-ones with <i>N</i>-itaconimides.
- Authors: Qiu S, Tan CH, Jiang Z
- Issue date: 2016
- Dipeptide-Based Chiral Tertiary Amine-Catalyzed Asymmetric Conjugate Addition Reactions of 5H-Thiazol/Oxazol-4-Ones.
- Authors: Li J, Qiu S, Ye X, Zhu B, Liu H, Jiang Z
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 2
- Highly Enantio- and Diastereoselective [4 + 2] Cycloaddition of 5H-oxazol-4-ones with N-Maleimides.
- Authors: Qiu S, Lee R, Zhu B, Coote ML, Zhao X, Jiang Z
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 2
- Remote Construction of Chiral Vicinal Tertiary and Quaternary Centers by Catalytic Asymmetric 1,6-Conjugate Addition of Prochiral Carbon Nucleophiles to Cyclic Dienones.
- Authors: Wei Y, Liu Z, Wu X, Fei J, Gu X, Yuan X, Ye J
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 21
- Highly diastereoselective and enantioselective Michael addition of 5H-oxazol-4-ones to α,β-unsaturated ketones catalyzed by a new bifunctional organocatalyst with broad substrate scope and applicability.
- Authors: Huang H, Zhu K, Wu W, Jin Z, Ye J
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 11