Central functions of bicarbonate in S-type anion channel activation and OST1 protein kinase in CO 2 signal transduction in guard cell
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-F1-021-31
Online Publication Date2011-03-18
Print Publication Date2011-04-20
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597745
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlants respond to elevated CO(2) via carbonic anhydrases that mediate stomatal closing, but little is known about the early signalling mechanisms following the initial CO(2) response. It remains unclear whether CO(2), HCO(3)(-) or a combination activates downstream signalling. Here, we demonstrate that bicarbonate functions as a small-molecule activator of SLAC1 anion channels in guard cells. Elevated intracellular [HCO(3)(-)](i) with low [CO(2)] and [H(+)] activated S-type anion currents, whereas low [HCO(3)(-)](i) at high [CO(2)] and [H(+)] did not. Bicarbonate enhanced the intracellular Ca(2+) sensitivity of S-type anion channel activation in wild-type and ht1-2 kinase mutant guard cells. ht1-2 mutant guard cells exhibited enhanced bicarbonate sensitivity of S-type anion channel activation. The OST1 protein kinase has been reported not to affect CO(2) signalling. Unexpectedly, OST1 loss-of-function alleles showed strongly impaired CO(2)-induced stomatal closing and HCO(3)(-) activation of anion channels. Moreover, PYR/RCAR abscisic acid (ABA) receptor mutants slowed but did not abolish CO(2)/HCO(3)(-) signalling, redefining the convergence point of CO(2) and ABA signalling. A new working model of the sequence of CO(2) signalling events in gas exchange regulation is presented.
CitationXue S, Hu H, Ries A, Merilo E, Kollist H, et al. (2011) Central functions of bicarbonate in S-type anion channel activation and OST1 protein kinase in CO 2 signal transduction in guard cell . The EMBO Journal 30: 1645–1658. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2011.68.
SponsorsWe thank Dr Cawas Engineer and Dr Rama Vaidyanathan for critical reading of the manuscript and Dr Kristiina Laanements for confirmation of whole-plant gas exchange data in the Ler ost1 mutants. We also thank Drs Nan Sang, Yanxi Pei and Shuqing Zhao for help during revision of the manuscript. This work was supported by grants from the National Science Foundation (MCB0918220), the National Institutes of Health (GM060396), Bayer Crop Sciences, the Chemical Sciences, Geosciences, and Biosciences Division of the Office of Basic Energy Sciences at the US Department of Energy (DOE-DE-FG02-03ER15449) and the Human Frontiers in Science Program to JIS and a fellowship from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST; No. KUS-F1-021-31) to HH, and in part supported by grants from the National Science Foundation of China (20701028) to SX and from the Estonian Science Foundation 7763 and SF0180071S07 to HK.
JournalThe EMBO Journal
PubMed Central IDPMC3102275
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Abscisic acid-independent stomatal CO<sub>2</sub> signal transduction pathway and convergence of CO<sub>2</sub> and ABA signaling downstream of OST1 kinase.
- Authors: Hsu PK, Takahashi Y, Munemasa S, Merilo E, Laanemets K, Waadt R, Pater D, Kollist H, Schroeder JI
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 16
- SLAC1 is required for plant guard cell S-type anion channel function in stomatal signalling.
- Authors: Vahisalu T, Kollist H, Wang YF, Nishimura N, Chan WY, Valerio G, Lamminmäki A, Brosché M, Moldau H, Desikan R, Schroeder JI, Kangasjärvi J
- Issue date: 2008 Mar 27
- Identification of SLAC1 anion channel residues required for CO<sub>2</sub>/bicarbonate sensing and regulation of stomatal movements.
- Authors: Zhang J, Wang N, Miao Y, Hauser F, McCammon JA, Rappel WJ, Schroeder JI
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 30
- Open stomata 1 (OST1) kinase controls R-type anion channel QUAC1 in Arabidopsis guard cells.
- Authors: Imes D, Mumm P, Böhm J, Al-Rasheid KA, Marten I, Geiger D, Hedrich R
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Reconstitution of CO2 Regulation of SLAC1 Anion Channel and Function of CO2-Permeable PIP2;1 Aquaporin as CARBONIC ANHYDRASE4 Interactor.
- Authors: Wang C, Hu H, Qin X, Zeise B, Xu D, Rappel WJ, Boron WF, Schroeder JI
- Issue date: 2016 Feb