Carbon−Silicon Core−Shell Nanowires as High Capacity Electrode for Lithium Ion Batteries
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11001-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597734
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe introduce a novel design of carbon-silicon core-shell nanowires for high power and long life lithium battery electrodes. Amorphous silicon was coated onto carbon nanofibers to form a core-shell structure and the resulted core-shell nanowires showed great performance as anode material. Since carbon has a much smaller capacity compared to silicon, the carbon core experiences less structural stress or damage during lithium cycling and can function as a mechanical support and an efficient electron conducting pathway. These nanowires have a high charge storage capacity of ∼2000 mAh/g and good cycling life. They also have a high Coulmbic efficiency of 90% for the first cycle and 98-99.6% for the following cycles. A full cell composed of LiCoO2 cathode and carbon-silicon core-shell nanowire anode is also demonstrated. Significantly, using these core-shell nanowires we have obtained high mass loading and an area capacity of ∼4 mAh/cm2, which is comparable to commercial battery values. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationCui L-F, Yang Y, Hsu C-M, Cui Y (2009) Carbon−Silicon Core−Shell Nanowires as High Capacity Electrode for Lithium Ion Batteries. Nano Lett 9: 3370–3374. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl901670t.
SponsorsThe work is partially supported by the Global Climate and Energy Project at Stanford, Office of Naval Research and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) under the Award No. KUS-11001-12.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Crystalline-amorphous core-shell silicon nanowires for high capacity and high current battery electrodes.
- Authors: Cui LF, Ruffo R, Chan CK, Peng H, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Electrospun core-shell fibers for robust silicon nanoparticle-based lithium ion battery anodes.
- Authors: Hwang TH, Lee YM, Kong BS, Seo JS, Choi JW
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 8
- Graphene encapsulated and SiC reinforced silicon nanowires as an anode material for lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Yang Y, Ren JG, Wang X, Chui YS, Wu QH, Chen X, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 21
- Silicon nanowire fabric as a lithium ion battery electrode material.
- Authors: Chockla AM, Harris JT, Akhavan VA, Bogart TD, Holmberg VC, Steinhagen C, Mullins CB, Stevenson KJ, Korgel BA
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 28
- Interconnected silicon hollow nanospheres for lithium-ion battery anodes with long cycle life.
- Authors: Yao Y, McDowell MT, Ryu I, Wu H, Liu N, Hu L, Nix WD, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 13