AuthorsSchroll, R. D.
Russell, T. P.
Toga, K. B.
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe address the partial wetting of liquid drops on ultrathin solid sheets resting on a deformable foundation. Considering the membrane limit of sheets that can relax compression through wrinkling at negligible energetic cost, we revisit the classical theory for the contact of liquid drops on solids. Our calculations and experiments show that the liquid-solid-vapor contact angle is modified from the Young angle, even though the elastic bulk modulus (E) of the sheet is so large that the ratio between the surface tension γ and E is of molecular size. This finding indicates a new elastocapillary phenomenon that stems from the high bendability of very thin elastic sheets rather than from material softness. We also show that the size of the wrinkle pattern that emerges in the sheet is fully predictable, thus resolving a puzzle in modeling "drop-on-a-floating-sheet" experiments and enabling a quantitative, calibration-free use of this setup for the metrology of ultrathin films. © 2013 American Physical Society.
CitationSchroll RD, Adda-Bedia M, Cerda E, Huang J, Menon N, et al. (2013) Capillary Deformations of Bendable Films. Physical Review Letters 111. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.014301.
SponsorsWe acknowledge support by the Petroleum Research Fund of the American Chemical Society (R. D. S., B. D.), NSF-MRSEC on Polymers at UMass Amherst DMR 08-20506 (R. D. S., J. H., K. B. T., T. P. R.), Fondecyt Projects No. 3120228 (R. D. S.) and No. 1130579 (E. C.), Anillo Act 95 (E. C.), NSF DMR 09-07245 and DMR 12-0778 (N. M.), Grant No. KUK-C1-013-04 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (D. V.), and NSF CAREER Grant No. DMR 11-51780 (B. D.).
PublisherAmerican Physical Society (APS)
JournalPhysical Review Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Surfactant solutions and porous substrates: spreading and imbibition.
- Authors: Starov VM
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 29
- Measuring the Elastic Modulus of Thin Polymer Sheets by Elastocapillary Bending.
- Authors: Bae J, Ouchi T, Hayward RC
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 15
- Elastic sheet on a liquid drop reveals wrinkling and crumpling as distinct symmetry-breaking instabilities.
- Authors: King H, Schroll RD, Davidovitch B, Menon N
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 19
- Indentation metrology of clamped, ultra-thin elastic sheets.
- Authors: Vella D, Davidovitch B
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 15
- Contact angles on a soft solid: from Young's law to Neumann's law.
- Authors: Marchand A, Das S, Snoeijer JH, Andreotti B
- Issue date: 2012 Dec 7