Auger Recombination in III-Nitride Nanowires and Its Effect on Nanowire Light-Emitting Diode Characteristics
KAUST Grant NumberN012509-00
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have measured the Auger recombination coefficients in defect-free InGaN nanowires (NW) and InGaN/GaN dot-in-nanowire (DNW) samples grown on (001) silicon by plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy. The nanowires have a density of ∼1×1011 cm-2 and exhibit photoluminescence emission peak at λ ∼ 500 nm. The Auger coefficients as a function of excitation power have been derived from excitation dependent and time-resolved photoluminescence measurements over a wide range of optical excitation power density. The values of C0, defined as the Auger coefficient at low excitation, are 6.1 × 10-32 and 4.1×10-33 cm6·s-1 in the NW and DNW samples, respectively, which are in reasonably good agreement with theoretical predictions for InGaN alloy semiconductors. Light-emitting diodes made with the NW and DNW samples exhibit no efficiency droop up to an injection current density of 400 A/cm 2. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationGuo W, Zhang M, Bhattacharya P, Heo J (2011) Auger Recombination in III-Nitride Nanowires and Its Effect on Nanowire Light-Emitting Diode Characteristics. Nano Lett 11: 1434–1438. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl103649d.
SponsorsThe work was supported by KAUST under Grant N012509-00.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Catalyst-free InGaN/GaN nanowire light emitting diodes grown on (001) silicon by molecular beam epitaxy.
- Authors: Guo W, Zhang M, Banerjee A, Bhattacharya P
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8
- Controlling electron overflow in phosphor-free InGaN/GaN nanowire white light-emitting diodes.
- Authors: Nguyen HP, Cui K, Zhang S, Djavid M, Korinek A, Botton GA, Mi Z
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 14
- Epitaxial growth of InGaN nanowire arrays for light emitting diodes.
- Authors: Hahn C, Zhang Z, Fu A, Wu CH, Hwang YJ, Gargas DJ, Yang P
- Issue date: 2011 May 24
- High-speed GaN/GaInN nanowire array light-emitting diode on silicon(111).
- Authors: Koester R, Sager D, Quitsch WA, Pfingsten O, Poloczek A, Blumenthal S, Keller G, Prost W, Bacher G, Tegude FJ
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 8
- Droop-Free, Reliable, and High-Power InGaN/GaN Nanowire Light-Emitting Diodes for Monolithic Metal-Optoelectronics.
- Authors: Zhao C, Ng TK, ElAfandy RT, Prabaswara A, Consiglio GB, Ajia IA, Roqan IS, Janjua B, Shen C, Eid J, Alyamani AY, El-Desouki MM, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13