Assessing fly ash treatment: Remediation and stabilization of heavy metals
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-017-12
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFly ashes from Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), straw (ST) and co-combustion of wood (CW) are here analyzed with the intent of reusing them. Two techniques are assessed, a remediation technique and a solidification/stabilization one. The removal of heavy metals from fly ashes through the electrodialytic process (EDR) has been tried out before. The goal of removing heavy metals has always been the reuse of fly ash, for instance in agricultural fields (BEK). The best removal rates are here summarized and some new results have been added. MSW fly ashes are still too hazardous after treatment to even consider application to the soil. ST ash is the only residue that gets concentrations low enough to be reused, but its fertilizing value might be questioned. An alternative reuse for the three ashes is here preliminary tested, the combination of fly ash with mortar. Fly ashes have been substituted by cement fraction or aggregate fraction. Surprisingly, better compressive strengths were obtained by replacing the aggregate fraction. CW ashes presented promising results for the substitution of aggregate in mortar and possibly in concrete. © 2010 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationLima AT, Ottosen LM, Ribeiro AB (2010) Assessing fly ash treatment: Remediation and stabilization of heavy metals. Journal of Environmental Management. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.11.009.
SponsorsThe authors would like to acknowledge CIRIUS for A. T. Lima scientific interchange to the Technical University of Denmark. The research work described in this paper was partly funded by the Utrecht University award for KAUST Center-in-Development SOWACOR, Award No. KUK-C1-017-12.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Electrodialytic removal of heavy metals from different fly ashes. Influence of heavy metal speciation in the ashes.
- Authors: Pedersen AJ, Ottosen LM, Villumsen A
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 27
- Heavy metal migration during electroremediation of fly ash from different wastes--modelling.
- Authors: Lima AT, Rodrigues PC, Mexia JT
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 15
- Electroremediation of straw and co-combustion ash under acidic conditions.
- Authors: Lima AT, Ottosen LM, Ribeiro AB
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 30
- Electrodialytic removal of Cd from biomass combustion fly ash suspensions.
- Authors: Kirkelund GM, Damoe AJ, Ottosen LM
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 15
- MSW fly ash stabilized with coal ash for geotechnical application.
- Authors: Kamon M, Katsumi T, Sano Y
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 15