Anomalous Interface and Surface Strontium Segregation in (La 1– y Sr y ) 2 CoO 4±δ /La 1– x Sr x CoO 3−δ Heterostructured Thin Films
Gadre, Milind J.
Hong, Wesley T.
Biegalski, Michael D.
Christen, Hans M.
Adler, Stuart B.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597580
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeterostructured oxides have shown unusual electrochemical properties including enhanced catalytic activity, ion transport, and stability. In particular, it has been shown recently that the activity of oxygen electrocatalysis on the Ruddlesden-Popper/perovskite (La1-ySr y)2CoO4±δ/La1-xSr xCoO3-δ heterostructure is remarkably enhanced relative to the Ruddlesden-Popper and perovskite constituents. Here we report the first atomic-scale structure and composition of (La1-ySr y)2CoO4±δ/La1-xSr xCoO3-δ grown on SrTiO3. We observe anomalous strontium segregation from the perovskite to the interface and the Ruddlesden-Popper phase using direct X-ray methods as well as with ab initio calculations. Such Sr segregation occurred during the film growth, and no significant changes were found upon subsequent annealing in O2. Our findings provide insights into the design of highly active catalysts for oxygen electrocatalysis. © 2014 American Chemical Society.
CitationFeng Z, Yacoby Y, Gadre MJ, Lee Y-L, Hong WT, et al. (2014) Anomalous Interface and Surface Strontium Segregation in (La 1– y Sr y ) 2 CoO 4±δ /La 1– x Sr x CoO 3−δ Heterostructured Thin Films . The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 5: 1027–1034. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz500293d.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by DOE (SISGR DESC0002633) and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. We thank the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals in Dharam, Saudi Arabia for funding the research reported in this paper through the Center for Clean Water and Clean Energy at MIT and KFUPM. This research was supported by the Israel Science Foundation under grant no. 1005/11. Support for Y.-L.L. was provided by Department of Energy (DOE), National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), Solid State Energy Conversion Alliance (SECA) Core Technology Program, Funding Opportunity Number DEFE0009435, and that for M.J.G. was provided by U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering under award number DESC0001284. Use of the Advanced Photon Source, an Office of Science User Facility operated for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science by Argonne National Laboratory was supported by the U.S. DOE under Contract No. DE-AC02-06CH11357. We acknowledge the support from the beamline scientists including Zhan Zhang, Christian M. Schlepuetz, and Lynette Jirik at ID-33 of APS. Samples were synthesized at the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, which is sponsored at Oak Ridge National Laboratory by the Scientific User Facilities Division, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, U.S. DOE under Contract No. CNMS2012-284.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Catalytic Activity and Stability of Oxides: The Role of Near-Surface Atomic Structures and Compositions.
- Authors: Feng Z, Hong WT, Fong DD, Lee YL, Yacoby Y, Morgan D, Shao-Horn Y
- Issue date: 2016 May 17
- In Situ Studies of the Temperature-Dependent Surface Structure and Chemistry of Single-Crystalline (001)-Oriented La0.8Sr0.2CoO3-δ Perovskite Thin Films.
- Authors: Feng Z, Crumlin EJ, Hong WT, Lee D, Mutoro E, Biegalski MD, Zhou H, Bluhm H, Christen HM, Shao-Horn Y
- Issue date: 2013 May 2
- Effect of Sr Content and Strain on Sr Surface Segregation of La<sub>1-x</sub>Sr<sub>x</sub>Co<sub>0.2</sub>Fe<sub>0.8</sub>O<sub>3-δ</sub> as Cathode Material for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells.
- Authors: Yu Y, Ludwig KF, Woicik JC, Gopalan S, Pal UB, Kaspar TC, Basu SN
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 12
- Decoupling the roles of carbon and metal oxides on the electrocatalytic reduction of oxygen on La<sub>1-x</sub>Sr<sub>x</sub>CoO<sub>3-δ</sub> perovskite composite electrodes.
- Authors: Mefford JT, Kurilovich AA, Saunders J, Hardin WG, Abakumov AM, Forslund RP, Bonnefont A, Dai S, Johnston KP, Stevenson KJ
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 6
- Emergence of Rapid Oxygen Surface Exchange Kinetics during in Situ Crystallization of Mixed Conducting Thin Film Oxides.
- Authors: Chen T, Harrington GF, Masood J, Sasaki K, Perry NH
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 20