Ambient-Processed Colloidal Quantum Dot Solar Cells via Individual Pre-Encapsulation of Nanoparticles
Barkhouse, D. Aaron
Pattantyus-Abraham, Andras G.
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-II-009-21
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report colloidal quantum dot solar cells fabricated under ambient atmosphere with an active area of 2.9 mm2 that exhibit 3.6% solar power conversion efficiency. The devices are based on PbS tuned via the quantum size effect to have a first excitonic peak at 950 nm. Because the formation of native oxides and sulfates on PbS leads to p-type doping and deep trap formation and because such dopants and traps dramatically influence device performance, prior reports of colloidal quantum dot solar cells have insisted on processing under an inert atmosphere. Here we report a novel ligand strategy in which we first encapsulate the quantum dots in the solution phase with the aid of a strongly bound N-2,4,6-trimethylphenyl-N-methyldithiocarbamate ligand. This allows us to carry out film formation and all subsequent device fabrication under an air atmosphere. © 2010 American Chemical Society.
CitationDebnath R, Tang J, Barkhouse DA, Wang X, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, et al. (2010) Ambient-Processed Colloidal Quantum Dot Solar Cells via Individual Pre-Encapsulation of Nanoparticles. Journal of the American Chemical Society 132: 5952–5953. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja1013695.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada and in part by Award KUS-II-009-21 from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). R.D. and D.A.B acknowledge financial support through e8 and NSERC fellowships, respectively.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Quantum dot photovoltaics in the extreme quantum confinement regime: the surface-chemical origins of exceptional air- and light-stability.
- Authors: Tang J, Brzozowski L, Barkhouse DA, Wang X, Debnath R, Wolowiec R, Palmiano E, Levina L, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Jamakosmanovic D, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 23
- Depleted-heterojunction colloidal quantum dot solar cells.
- Authors: Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Kramer IJ, Barkhouse AR, Wang X, Konstantatos G, Debnath R, Levina L, Raabe I, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Low-temperature solution-processed solar cells based on PbS colloidal quantum dot/CdS heterojunctions.
- Authors: Chang LY, Lunt RR, Brown PR, Bulović V, Bawendi MG
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 13
- Efficient, stable infrared photovoltaics based on solution-cast colloidal quantum dots.
- Authors: Koleilat GI, Levina L, Shukla H, Myrskog SH, Hinds S, Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Colloidal PbS quantum dot solar cells with high fill factor.
- Authors: Zhao N, Osedach TP, Chang LY, Geyer SM, Wanger D, Binda MT, Arango AC, Bawendi MG, Bulovic V
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 27