Ip, Alexander H.
Ahmed, Osman S.
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-11-009-21
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 American Chemical Society. Colloidal quantum dots (CQDs) are promising candidates for infrared electroluminescent devices. To date, CQD-based light-emitting diodes (LEDs) have employed a CQD emission layer sandwiched between carrier transport layers built using organic materials and inorganic oxides. Herein, we report the infrared LEDs that use quantum-tuned materials for each of the hole-transporting, the electron-transporting, and the light-emitting layers. We successfully tailor the bandgap and band position of each CQD-based component to produce electroluminescent devices that exhibit emission that we tune from 1220 to 1622 nm. Devices emitting at 1350 nm achieve peak external quantum efficiency up to 1.6% with a low turn-on voltage of 1.2 V, surpassing previously reported all-inorganic CQD LEDs.
CitationYang Z, Voznyy O, Liu M, Yuan M, Ip AH, et al. (2015) All-Quantum-Dot Infrared Light-Emitting Diodes. ACS Nano 9: 12327–12333. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.5b05617.
SponsorsThis publication is based in part on work supported by Award KUS-11-009-21, from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), by the Ontario Research Fund - Research Excellence Program, and by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Computations were performed on the GPC supercomputer at the SciNet HPC Consortium. SciNet is funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation under the auspices of Compute Canada; the Government of Ontario; Ontario Research Fund - Research Excellence; and the University of Toronto. The authors thank Z. Ning, X. Lan, R. Wolowiec, D. Kopilovic, and E. Palmiano for their help and useful discussions.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Bright Multicolor Bandgap Fluorescent Carbon Quantum Dots for Electroluminescent Light-Emitting Diodes.
- Authors: Yuan F, Wang Z, Li X, Li Y, Tan Z, Fan L, Yang S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- High-efficiency, low turn-on voltage blue-violet quantum-dot-based light-emitting diodes.
- Authors: Shen H, Cao W, Shewmon NT, Yang C, Li LS, Xue J
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 11
- Bright infrared quantum-dot light-emitting diodes through inter-dot spacing control.
- Authors: Sun L, Choi JJ, Stachnik D, Bartnik AC, Hyun BR, Malliaras GG, Hanrath T, Wise FW
- Issue date: 2012 May 6
- Multi-color colloidal quantum dot based light emitting diodes micropatterned on silicon hole transporting layers.
- Authors: Gopal A, Hoshino K, Kim S, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 10
- R/G/B/natural white light thin colloidal quantum dot-based light-emitting devices.
- Authors: Bae WK, Lim J, Lee D, Park M, Lee H, Kwak J, Char K, Lee C, Lee S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 8