Adsorption of arsenite and selenite using an inorganic ion exchanger based on Fe–Mn hydrous oxide
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-017-12
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe adsorption behaviour and mechanism of As(III) and Se(IV) oxyanion uptake using a mixed inorganic adsorbent were studied. The novel adsorbent, based on Fe(III)-Mn(III) hydrous oxides and manganese(II) carbonate, was synthesised using a hydrothermal precipitation approach in the presence of urea. The inorganic ion exchanger exhibited a high selectivity and adsorptive capacity towards As(III) (up to 47.6mg/g) and Se(IV) (up to 29.0mg/g), even at low equilibrium concentration. Although pH effects were typical for anionic species (i.e., the adsorption decreased upon pH increase), Se(IV) was more sensitive to pH changes than As(III). The rates of adsorption of both oxyanions were high. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) studies showed that the ion exchange adsorption of both anions took place via OH - groups, mainly from Fe(III) but also Mn(III) hydrous oxides. MnCO 3 did not contribute directly to As(III) and Se(IV) removal. A higher adsorptive capacity of the developed material towards As(III) was partly due to partial As(III) oxidation during adsorption. © 2011 Elsevier Inc.
CitationSzlachta M, Gerda V, Chubar N (2012) Adsorption of arsenite and selenite using an inorganic ion exchanger based on Fe–Mn hydrous oxide. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 365: 213–221. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2011.09.023.
SponsorsThis work was funded by the Center-in-Development Award to Utrecht University (No. KUK-C1-017-12) by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.Dr. Andrey Shchukarev (Umeä University, Sweden) is gratefully acknowledged for XPS analysis.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Mechanism of selenite removal by a mixed adsorbent based on Fe-Mn hydrous oxides studied using X-ray absorption spectroscopy.
- Authors: Chubar N, Gerda V, Szlachta M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 18
- Preparation and evaluation of a novel Fe-Mn binary oxide adsorbent for effective arsenite removal.
- Authors: Zhang G, Qu J, Liu H, Liu R, Wu R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Removal mechanism of As(III) by a novel Fe-Mn binary oxide adsorbent: oxidation and sorption.
- Authors: Zhang GS, Qu JH, Liu HJ, Liu RP, Li GT
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 1
- Efficient removal of trace arsenite through oxidation and adsorption by magnetic nanoparticles modified with Fe-Mn binary oxide.
- Authors: Shan C, Tong M
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 15
- Fe-Mn binary oxide incorporated into diatomite as an adsorbent for arsenite removal: preparation and evaluation.
- Authors: Chang F, Qu J, Liu H, Liu R, Zhao X
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 15