KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
Laboratory for Genome Engineering
Online Publication Date2015-06-03
Print Publication Date2015-10-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597449
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 Taylor and Francis Group, LLC. Plant trait engineering requires efficient targeted genome-editing technologies. Clustered regularly interspaced palindromic repeats (CRISPRs)/ CRISPR associated (Cas) type II system is used for targeted genome-editing applications across eukaryotic species including plants. Delivery of genome engineering reagents and recovery of mutants remain challenging tasks for in planta applications. Recently, we reported the development of Tobacco rattle virus (TRV)-mediated genome editing in Nicotiana benthamiana. TRV infects the growing points and possesses small genome size; which facilitate cloning, multiplexing, and agroinfections. Here, we report on the persistent activity and specificity of the TRV-mediated CRISPR/Cas9 system for targeted modification of the Nicotiana benthamiana genome. Our data reveal the persistence of the TRVmediated Cas9 activity for up to 30 d post-agroinefection. Further, our data indicate that TRV-mediated genome editing exhibited no off-target activities at potential off-targets indicating the precision of the system for plant genome engineering. Taken together, our data establish the feasibility and exciting possibilities of using virus-mediated CRISPR/Cas9 for targeted engineering of plant genomes.
CitationAli Z, Abul-faraj A, Piatek M, Mahfouz MM (2015) Activity and specificity of TRV-mediated gene editing in plants. Plant Signaling & Behavior 10: e1044191. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15592324.2015.1044191.
SponsorsWe would like to thank members of the laboratory for genome engineering at KAUST for helpful discussions and comments. This study is supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherInforma UK Limited
JournalPlant Signaling & Behavior
- Pea early-browning virus-mediated genome editing via the CRISPR/Cas9 system in Nicotiana benthamiana and Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Ali Z, Eid A, Ali S, Mahfouz MM
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 15
- Virus-Mediated Genome Editing in Plants Using the CRISPR/Cas9 System.
- Authors: Mahas A, Ali Z, Tashkandi M, Mahfouz MM
- Issue date: 2019
- A CRISPR/Cas9 Toolbox for Multiplexed Plant Genome Editing and Transcriptional Regulation.
- Authors: Lowder LG, Zhang D, Baltes NJ, Paul JW 3rd, Tang X, Zheng X, Voytas DF, Hsieh TF, Zhang Y, Qi Y
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Engineering Molecular Immunity Against Plant Viruses.
- Authors: Zaidi SS, Tashkandi M, Mahfouz MM
- Issue date: 2017
- CRISPR/Cas9-mediated targeted mutagenesis in Nicotiana tabacum.
- Authors: Gao J, Wang G, Ma S, Xie X, Wu X, Zhang X, Wu Y, Zhao P, Xia Q
- Issue date: 2015 Jan