Accelerating VASP electronic structure calculations using graphic processing units
KAUST Grant NumberUK-C0017
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a way to improve the performance of the electronic structure Vienna Ab initio Simulation Package (VASP) program. We show that high-performance computers equipped with graphics processing units (GPUs) as accelerators may reduce drastically the computation time when offloading these sections to the graphic chips. The procedure consists of (i) profiling the performance of the code to isolate the time-consuming parts, (ii) rewriting these so that the algorithms become better-suited for the chosen graphic accelerator, and (iii) optimizing memory traffic between the host computer and the GPU accelerator. We chose to accelerate VASP with NVIDIA GPU using CUDA. We compare the GPU and original versions of VASP by evaluating the Davidson and RMM-DIIS algorithms on chemical systems of up to 1100 atoms. In these tests, the total time is reduced by a factor between 3 and 8 when running on n (CPU core + GPU) compared to n CPU cores only, without any accuracy loss. © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
CitationHacene M, Anciaux-Sedrakian A, Rozanska X, Klahr D, Guignon T, et al. (2012) Accelerating VASP electronic structure calculations using graphic processing units. Journal of Computational Chemistry 33: 2581–2589. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.23096.
SponsorsContract/grant sponsor: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST, Award No. UK-C0017).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Theory meets Industry (Erwin-Schrödinger-Institute (ESI), Vienna, Austria, 12-14 June 2007).
- Authors: Hafner J
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 13
- GPU accelerated implementation of NCI calculations using promolecular density.
- Authors: Rubez G, Etancelin JM, Vigouroux X, Krajecki M, Boisson JC, Hénon E
- Issue date: 2017 May 30
- Acceleration of High Angular Momentum Electron Repulsion Integrals and Integral Derivatives on Graphics Processing Units.
- Authors: Miao Y, Merz KM Jr
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 14
- Performance and scalability of Fourier domain optical coherence tomography acceleration using graphics processing units.
- Authors: Li J, Bloch P, Xu J, Sarunic MV, Shannon L
- Issue date: 2011 May 1
- CPU-GPU hybrid accelerating the Zuker algorithm for RNA secondary structure prediction applications.
- Authors: Lei G, Dou Y, Wan W, Xia F, Li R, Ma M, Zou D
- Issue date: 2012