A Simple Approach for Local Contact Angle Determination on a Heterogeneous Surface
KAUST Grant NumberSA-C0040/UK-C0016
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597406
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a simple approach for measuring the local contact angle of liquids on a heterogeneous surface consisting of intersected hydrophobic and hydrophilic patch arrays, specifically by employing confocal microscopy and the addition of a very low concentration of Rhodamine-B (RB) (2 × 10 -7 mol/L). Interestingly, RB at that concentration was found to be aggregated at the air-liquid and solid (hydrophobic patch only)-liquid interfaces, which helps us to distinguish the liquid and solid interfaces as well as hydrophobic and hydrophilic patches by their corresponding fluorescent intensities. From the measured local contact angles, the line tension can be easily derived and the value is found to be (-2.06-1.53) × 10-6 J/m. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationWu J, Zhang M, Wang X, Li S, Wen W (2011) A Simple Approach for Local Contact Angle Determination on a Heterogeneous Surface. Langmuir 27: 5705–5708. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la200697k.
SponsorsThis publication is based on work partially supported by Award No. SA-C0040/UK-C0016, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Hong Kong RGC grants HKUST 603608 and 604710, respectively.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Surfactant solutions and porous substrates: spreading and imbibition.
- Authors: Starov VM
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 29
- Recent progress in the determination of solid surface tensions from contact angles.
- Authors: Tavana H, Neumann AW
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 28
- Low-Rate Dynamic Contact Angles on Poly(methyl methacrylate) and the Determination of Solid Surface Tensions.
- Authors: Kwok DY, Leung A, Lam CNC, Li A, Wu R, Neumann AW
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 1
- Determination of the Surface Tension of Microporous Membranes Using Contact Angle Measurements
- Authors: Tröger J, Lunkwitz K, Bürger W
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 15
- Adsorption at the solid-liquid interface as the source of contact angle dependence on the curvature of the three-phase line.
- Authors: Ward CA, Sefiane K
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15