A review of mathematical models for the formation of vascular networks
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-013-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo major mechanisms are involved in the formation of blood vasculature: vasculogenesis and angiogenesis. The former term describes the formation of a capillary-like network from either a dispersed or a monolayered population of endothelial cells, reproducible also in vitro by specific experimental assays. The latter term describes the sprouting of new vessels from an existing capillary or post-capillary venule. Similar mechanisms are also involved in the formation of the lymphatic system through a process generally called lymphangiogenesis. A number of mathematical approaches have been used to analyze these phenomena. In this paper, we review the different types of models, with special emphasis on their ability to reproduce different biological systems and to predict measurable quantities which describe the overall processes. Finally, we highlight the advantages specific to each of the different modelling approaches. © 2013 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationScianna M, Bell CG, Preziosi L (2013) A review of mathematical models for the formation of vascular networks. Journal of Theoretical Biology 333: 174–209. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtbi.2013.04.037.
SponsorsThis publication was based on work supported in part by Award No KUK-C1-013-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
JournalJournal of Theoretical Biology
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- A mathematical model for the capillary endothelial cell-extracellular matrix interactions in wound-healing angiogenesis.
- Authors: Olsen L, Sherratt JA, Maini PK, Arnold F
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- New insights in vascular development: vasculogenesis and endothelial progenitor cells.
- Authors: Kässmeyer S, Plendl J, Custodis P, Bahramsoltani M
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Tensional forces in fibrillar extracellular matrices control directional capillary sprouting.
- Authors: Korff T, Augustin HG
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Mathematical modeling of the onset of capillary formation initiating angiogenesis.
- Authors: Levine HA, Sleeman BD, Nilsen-Hamilton M
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Elongation, proliferation & migration differentiate endothelial cell phenotypes and determine capillary sprouting.
- Authors: Qutub AA, Popel AS
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 26