AuthorsCrossland, Edward J. W.
Toombes, Gilman E. S.
Hillmyer, Marc A.
Snaith, Henry J.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597221
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the first successful application of an ordered bicontinuous gyroid semiconducting network in a hybrid bulk heterojunction solar cell. The freestanding gyroid network is fabricated by electrochemical deposition into the 10 nm wide voided channels of a self-assembled, selectively degradable block copolymer film. The highly ordered pore structure is ideal for uniform infiltration of an organic hole transporting material, and solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells only 400 nm thick exhibit up to 1.7% power conversion efficiency. This patterning technique can be readily extended to other promising heterojunction systems and is a major step toward realizing the full potential of self-assembly in the next generation of device technologies. © 2009 American Chemical Society.
CitationCrossland EJW, Kamperman M, Nedelcu M, Ducati C, Wiesner U, et al. (2009) A Bicontinuous Double Gyroid Hybrid Solar Cell. Nano Lett 9: 2807–2812. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl803174p.
SponsorsM.K. and M.A.H. acknowledge the support of the National Science Foundation (DMR-0605856 and DMR-0605880, respectively). X-ray diffraction at CHESS is supported by the National Science Foundation. E.J.W.C. was supported by the EPSRC, and M.N., S.L., and U.S. acknowledge the European RTN-6 Network "Polyfilm". This work was further funded in part by KAUST. The sabbatical leaves of U.W. and M.A.H. were supported by the Leverhulme Trust and EPSRC. C.D. acknowledges the Royal Society for financial support. G.E.S.T. acknowledges the support of DOE.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Molecular helices as electron acceptors in high-performance bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Zhong Y, Trinh MT, Chen R, Purdum GE, Khlyabich PP, Sezen M, Oh S, Zhu H, Fowler B, Zhang B, Wang W, Nam CY, Sfeir MY, Black CT, Steigerwald ML, Loo YL, Ng F, Zhu XY, Nuckolls C
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 18
- An organic D-π-A dye for record efficiency solid-state sensitized heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Cai N, Moon SJ, Cevey-Ha L, Moehl T, Humphry-Baker R, Wang P, Zakeeruddin SM, Grätzel M
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 13
- A nanostructured electrochromic supercapacitor.
- Authors: Wei D, Scherer MR, Bower C, Andrew P, Ryhänen T, Steiner U
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 11
- Structure and properties of nano-confined poly(3-hexylthiophene) in nano-array/polymer hybrid ordered-bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Foong TR, Chan KL, Hu X
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 21
- Direct assembly of preformed nanoparticles and graft copolymer for the fabrication of micrometer-thick, organized TiO2 films: high efficiency solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Ahn SH, Chi WS, Park JT, Koh JK, Roh DK, Kim JH
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 24