Out of Thin Air: Microbial Utilization of Atmospheric Gaseous Organics in the Surface Ocean
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVolatile and semi-volatile gas-phase organic carbon (GOC) is a largely neglected component of the global carbon cycle, with poorly resolved pools and fluxes of natural and anthropogenic GOC in the biosphere. Substantial amounts of atmospheric GOC are exchanged with the surface ocean, and subsequent utilization of specific GOC compounds by surface ocean microbial communities has been demonstrated. Yet, the final fate of the bulk of the atmospheric GOC entering the surface ocean is unknown. Our data show experimental evidence of efficient use of atmospheric GOC by marine prokaryotes at different locations in the NE Subtropical Atlantic, the Arctic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea. We estimate that between 2 and 27% of the prokaryotic carbon demand was supported by GOC with a major fraction of GOC inputs being consumed within the mixed layer. The role of the atmosphere as a key vector of organic carbon subsidizing marine microbial metabolism is a novel link yet to be incorporated into the microbial ecology of the surface ocean as well as into the global carbon budget.
CitationOut of Thin Air: Microbial Utilization of Atmospheric Gaseous Organics in the Surface Ocean 2016, 6 Frontiers in Microbiology
SponsorsWe thank the Commander and crew of the BIO Hespérides and the personnel of the Marine Technology Unit of CSIC (UTM) for their invaluable support. The authors thank P.J. le B. Williams for his thoughtful comments on an early version of this manuscript.
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Microbiology
- Resolving the abundance and air-sea fluxes of airborne microorganisms in the North Atlantic Ocean.
- Authors: Mayol E, Jiménez MA, Herndl GJ, Duarte CM, Arrieta JM
- Issue date: 2014
- Atmospheric deposition of methanol over the Atlantic Ocean.
- Authors: Yang M, Nightingale PD, Beale R, Liss PS, Blomquist B, Fairall C
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 10
- Long-range transport of airborne microbes over the global tropical and subtropical ocean.
- Authors: Mayol E, Arrieta JM, Jiménez MA, Martínez-Asensio A, Garcias-Bonet N, Dachs J, González-Gaya B, Royer SJ, Benítez-Barrios VM, Fraile-Nuez E, Duarte CM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 4
- Marine biogenic source of atmospheric organic nitrogen in the subtropical North Atlantic.
- Authors: Altieri KE, Fawcett SE, Peters AJ, Sigman DM, Hastings MG
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 26
- Ecological principles of World Ocean monitoring.
- Authors: Izrael YA, Tsiban AV
- Issue date: 1982 Dec