Ultra-low carrier concentration and surface-dominant transport in antimony-doped Bi2Se3 topological insulator nanoribbons
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-l1-001-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597020
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA topological insulator is the state of quantum matter possessing gapless spin-locking surface states across the bulk band gap, which has created new opportunities from novel electronics to energy conversion. However, the large concentration of bulk residual carriers has been a major challenge for revealing the property of the topological surface state by electron transport measurements. Here we report the surface-state-dominant transport in antimony-doped, zinc oxide-encapsulated Bi2Se3 nanoribbons with suppressed bulk electron concentration. In the nanoribbon with sub-10-nm thickness protected by a zinc oxide layer, we position the Fermi levels of the top and bottom surfaces near the Dirac point by electrostatic gating, achieving extremely low two-dimensional carrier concentration of 2×10 11cm-2. The zinc oxide-capped, antimony-doped Bi 2Se3 nanostructures provide an attractive materials platform to study fundamental physics in topological insulators, as well as future applications. © 2012 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationHong SS, Cha JJ, Kong D, Cui Y (2012) Ultra-low carrier concentration and surface-dominant transport in antimony-doped Bi2Se3 topological insulator nanoribbons. Nat Comms 3: 757. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms1771.
SponsorsWe thank K. Lai and J. R. Williams for the helpful discussions, and B. Weil for the help in the manuscript preparation. Y. C. acknowledges the supports from the Keck Foundation, DARPA MESO project (No. N66001-11-1-4105) and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (No. KUS-l1-001-12).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Open access articles are published under a CC BY license (Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License).
- Aharonov-Bohm interference in topological insulator nanoribbons.
- Authors: Peng H, Lai K, Kong D, Meister S, Chen Y, Qi XL, Zhang SC, Shen ZX, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Topological insulator nanowires and nanoribbons.
- Authors: Kong D, Randel JC, Peng H, Cha JJ, Meister S, Lai K, Chen Y, Shen ZX, Manoharan HC, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Ambipolar field effect in the ternary topological insulator (Bi(x)Sb(1-x))2Te3 by composition tuning.
- Authors: Kong D, Chen Y, Cha JJ, Zhang Q, Analytis JG, Lai K, Liu Z, Hong SS, Koski KJ, Mo SK, Hussain Z, Fisher IR, Shen ZX, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 2
- Quantum Hall effect on top and bottom surface states of topological insulator (Bi1-xSbx)2Te3 films.
- Authors: Yoshimi R, Tsukazaki A, Kozuka Y, Falson J, Takahashi KS, Checkelsky JG, Nagaosa N, Kawasaki M, Tokura Y
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 14
- A topological Dirac insulator in a quantum spin Hall phase.
- Authors: Hsieh D, Qian D, Wray L, Xia Y, Hor YS, Cava RJ, Hasan MZ
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 24