Spin injection and detection in lanthanum- and niobium-doped SrTiO3 using the Hanle technique
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere has been much interest in the injection and detection of spin-polarized carriers in semiconductors for the purposes of developing novel spintronic devices. Here we report the electrical injection and detection of spin-polarized carriers into Nb-doped strontium titanate single crystals and La-doped strontium titanate epitaxial thin films using MgO tunnel barriers and the three-terminal Hanle technique. Spin lifetimes of up to ∼100 ps are measured at room temperature and vary little as the temperature is decreased to low temperatures. However, the mobility of the strontium titanate has a strong temperature dependence. This behaviour and the carrier doping dependence of the spin lifetime suggest that the spin lifetime is limited by spin-dependent scattering at the MgO/strontium titanate interfaces, perhaps related to the formation of doping induced Ti 3+. Our results reveal a severe limitation of the three-terminal Hanle technique for measuring spin lifetimes within the interior of the subject material. © 2013 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationHan W, Jiang X, Kajdos A, Yang S-H, Stemmer S, et al. (2013) Spin injection and detection in lanthanum- and niobium-doped SrTiO3 using the Hanle technique. Nat Comms 4. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms3134.
SponsorsWe acknowledge partial support for this work from the MURI program of the Army Research Office (Grant no. W911-NF-09-1-0398) and the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and thank Professor Aurelien Manchon, KAUST, for useful discussions.
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Open access articles are published under a CC BY license (Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License).
- High temperature thermoelectric properties of strontium titanate thin films with oxygen vacancy and niobium doping.
- Authors: Kumar SR, Barasheed AZ, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 14
- Room temperature electrical spin injection into GaAs by an oxide spin injector.
- Authors: Bhat SG, Kumar PS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 7
- Extremely long quasiparticle spin lifetimes in superconducting aluminium using MgO tunnel spin injectors.
- Authors: Yang H, Yang SH, Takahashi S, Maekawa S, Parkin SS
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Dynamic detection of electron spin accumulation in ferromagnet-semiconductor devices by ferromagnetic resonance.
- Authors: Liu C, Patel SJ, Peterson TA, Geppert CC, Christie KD, Stecklein G, Palmstrøm CJ, Crowell PA
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 18
- Effect of Nb concentration on the spin-orbit coupling strength in Nb-doped SrTiO<sub>3</sub> epitaxial thin films.
- Authors: Cho SW, Lee M, Woo S, Yim K, Han S, Choi WS, Lee S
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 10