Pool boiling of nanoparticle-modified surface with interlaced wettability
KAUST Grant NumberKUK-C1-014-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/597006
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study investigated the pool boiling heat transfer under heating surfaces with various interlaced wettability. Nano-silica particles were used as the coating element to vary the interlaced wettability of the surface. The experimental results revealed that when the wettability of a surface is uniform, the critical heat flux increases with the more wettable surface; however, when the wettability of a surface is modified interlacedly, regardless of whether the modified region becomes more hydrophilic or hydrophobic, the critical heat flux is consistently higher than that of the isotropic surface. In addition, this study observed that critical heat flux was higher when the contact angle difference between the plain surface and the modified region was smaller. © 2012 Hsu et al.
CitationHsu C-C, Su T-W, Chen P-H (2012) Pool boiling of nanoparticle-modified surface with interlaced wettability. Nanoscale Research Letters 7: 259. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1556-276x-7-259.
SponsorsThe financial support of this work was provided by the KAUST Award with the project number of KUK-C1-014-12. We would also like to thank Professor Stephan Kabelac for his guidance in this research.
JournalNanoscale Research Letters
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Nucleate boiling performance on nano/microstructures with different wetting surfaces.
- Authors: Jo H, Kim S, Kim H, Kim J, Kim MH
- Issue date: 2012 May 6
- Pool-Boiling Heat-Transfer Enhancement on Cylindrical Surfaces with Hybrid Wettable Patterns.
- Authors: Kumar C S S, Chang YW, Chen PH
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 10
- A numerical investigation of the effect of surface wettability on the boiling curve.
- Authors: Hsu HY, Lin MC, Popovic B, Lin CR, Patankar NA
- Issue date: 2017
- Characterisation of surface wettability based on nanoparticles.
- Authors: Gao N, Yan Y
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 7
- Infrared thermometry study of nanofluid pool boiling phenomena.
- Authors: Gerardi C, Buongiorno J, Hu LW, McKrell T
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 16