A high-rate and long cycle life aqueous electrolyte battery for grid-scale energy storage
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-l1-001-12
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNew types of energy storage are needed in conjunction with the deployment of solar, wind and other volatile renewable energy sources and their integration with the electric grid. No existing energy storage technology can economically provide the power, cycle life and energy efficiency needed to respond to the costly short-term transients that arise from renewables and other aspects of grid operation. Here we demonstrate a new type of safe, fast, inexpensive, long-life aqueous electrolyte battery, which relies on the insertion of potassium ions into a copper hexacyanoferrate cathode and a novel activated carbon/polypyrrole hybrid anode. The cathode reacts rapidly with very little hysteresis. The hybrid anode uses an electrochemically active additive to tune its potential. This high-rate, high-efficiency cell has a 95% round-trip energy efficiency when cycled at a 5C rate, and a 79% energy efficiency at 50C. It also has zero-capacity loss after 1,000 deep-discharge cycles. © 2012 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationPasta M, Wessells CD, Huggins RA, Cui Y (2012) A high-rate and long cycle life aqueous electrolyte battery for grid-scale energy storage. Nat Comms 3: 1149. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ncomms2139.
SponsorsWe thank Matt T. McDowell for transmission electron microscope characterization and Nian Liu for his help in drawing the full cell schematic. We also acknowledge support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Investigator Award (no. KUS-l1-001-12).
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Open access articles are published under a CC BY license (Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License).
- Full open-framework batteries for stationary energy storage.
- Authors: Pasta M, Wessells CD, Liu N, Nelson J, McDowell MT, Huggins RA, Toney MF, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2014
- Copper hexacyanoferrate battery electrodes with long cycle life and high power.
- Authors: Wessells CD, Huggins RA, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 22
- Nickel hexacyanoferrate nanoparticle electrodes for aqueous sodium and potassium ion batteries.
- Authors: Wessells CD, Peddada SV, Huggins RA, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 14
- The Li-ion rechargeable battery: a perspective.
- Authors: Goodenough JB, Park KS
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 30
- Tunable reaction potentials in open framework nanoparticle battery electrodes for grid-scale energy storage.
- Authors: Wessells CD, McDowell MT, Peddada SV, Pasta M, Huggins RA, Cui Y
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 28