Theoretical Characterization of the H-Bonding and Stacking Potential of Two Non-Standard Nucleobases Expanding the Genetic Alphabet
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/596860
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report a quantum chemical characterization of the non-natural (synthetic) H-bonded base pair formed by 6-amino-5-nitro-2(1H)-pyridone (Z) and 2-amino-imidazo [1,2-a]-1,3,5-triazin-4(8H)-one (P). The Z:P base pair, orthogonal to the classical G:C base pair, has been introduced in DNA molecules for expanding the genetic code. Our results indicate that the Z:P base pair closely mimics the G:C base pair both in terms of structure and stability. To clarify the role of the NO2 group on the C5 position of the Z base, we compared the stability of the Z:P base pair with that of base pairs having different functional group on the C5 position of Z. Our results indicate that the electron donating/withdrawing properties of the group in the C5 position has a clear impact on the stability of the Z:P base pair, with the strong electron withdrawing nitro group achieving the largest stabilizing effect on the H-bonding interaction, and the strong electron donating NH2 group destabilizing the Z:P pair by almost 4 kcal/mol. Finally, our gas phase and in water calculations confirm that the Z-nitro group reinforce the stacking interaction with its adjacent purine or pyrimidine ring.
CitationTheoretical Characterization of the H-Bonding and Stacking Potential of Two Non-Standard Nucleobases Expanding the Genetic Alphabet 2016 The Journal of Physical Chemistry B
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Structural basis for a six nucleotide genetic alphabet.
- Authors: Georgiadis MM, Singh I, Kellett WF, Hoshika S, Benner SA, Richards NG
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 3
- Toward an Expanded Genome: Structural and Computational Characterization of an Artificially Expanded Genetic Information System.
- Authors: Richards NGJ, Georgiadis MM
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 20
- Biophysics of Artificially Expanded Genetic Information Systems. Thermodynamics of DNA Duplexes Containing Matches and Mismatches Involving 2-Amino-3-nitropyridin-6-one (Z) and Imidazo[1,2-a]-1,3,5-triazin-4(8H)one (P).
- Authors: Wang X, Hoshika S, Peterson RJ, Kim MJ, Benner SA, Kahn JD
- Issue date: 2017 May 19
- Intermolecular CH···O/N H-bonds in the biologically important pairs of natural nucleobases: a thorough quantum-chemical study.
- Authors: Brovarets' OO, Yurenko YP, Hovorun DM
- Issue date: 2014
- Trans Hoogsteen/sugar edge base pairing in RNA. Structures, energies, and stabilities from quantum chemical calculations.
- Authors: Mládek A, Sharma P, Mitra A, Bhattacharyya D, Sponer J, Sponer JE
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 12