Safeer, C. K.
Miron, Ioan Mihai
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Spintronics Theory Group
Online Publication Date2015-12-21
Print Publication Date2016-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/596855
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStructural symmetry breaking in magnetic materials is responsible for the existence of multiferroics1, current-induced spin–orbit torques2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and some topological magnetic structures8, 9, 10, 11, 12. In this Letter we report that the structural inversion asymmetry (SIA) gives rise to a chiral damping mechanism, which is evidenced by measuring the field-driven domain-wall (DW) motion in perpendicularly magnetized asymmetric Pt/Co/Pt trilayers. The DW dynamics associated with the chiral damping and those with Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction (DMI) exhibit identical spatial symmetry13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. However, both scenarios are differentiated by their time reversal properties: whereas DMI is a conservative effect that can be modelled by an effective field, the chiral damping is purely dissipative and has no influence on the equilibrium magnetic texture. When the DW motion is modulated by an in-plane magnetic field, it reveals the structure of the internal fields experienced by the DWs, allowing one to distinguish the physical mechanism. The chiral damping enriches the spectrum of physical phenomena engendered by the SIA, and is essential for conceiving DW and skyrmion devices owing to its coexistence with DMI (ref. 20).
CitationChiral damping of magnetic domain walls 2015 Nature Materials
- Tuning spin-orbit torques at magnetic domain walls in epitaxial Pt/Co/Pt<sub>1-x</sub> Au <sub>x</sub> trilayers.
- Authors: Hrabec A, Shahbazi K, Moore TA, Martinez E, Marrows CH
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 7
- Dynamic Symmetry Breaking in Chiral Magnetic Systems.
- Authors: Brock JA, Kitcher MD, Vallobra P, Medapalli R, Li MP, De Graef M, Riley GA, Nembach HT, Mangin S, Sokalski V, Fullerton EE
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction arising from rare-earth orbital magnetism in insulating magnetic oxides.
- Authors: Caretta L, Rosenberg E, Büttner F, Fakhrul T, Gargiani P, Valvidares M, Chen Z, Reddy P, Muller DA, Ross CA, Beach GSD
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 27
- Domain wall tilting in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in out-of-plane magnetized magnetic nanotracks.
- Authors: Boulle O, Rohart S, Buda-Prejbeanu LD, Jué E, Miron IM, Pizzini S, Vogel J, Gaudin G, Thiaville A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 22
- Chiral spin torque at magnetic domain walls.
- Authors: Ryu KS, Thomas L, Yang SH, Parkin S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul