Safeer, C. K.
Miron, Ioan Mihai
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/596855
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStructural symmetry breaking in magnetic materials is responsible for the existence of multiferroics1, current-induced spin–orbit torques2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and some topological magnetic structures8, 9, 10, 11, 12. In this Letter we report that the structural inversion asymmetry (SIA) gives rise to a chiral damping mechanism, which is evidenced by measuring the field-driven domain-wall (DW) motion in perpendicularly magnetized asymmetric Pt/Co/Pt trilayers. The DW dynamics associated with the chiral damping and those with Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction (DMI) exhibit identical spatial symmetry13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. However, both scenarios are differentiated by their time reversal properties: whereas DMI is a conservative effect that can be modelled by an effective field, the chiral damping is purely dissipative and has no influence on the equilibrium magnetic texture. When the DW motion is modulated by an in-plane magnetic field, it reveals the structure of the internal fields experienced by the DWs, allowing one to distinguish the physical mechanism. The chiral damping enriches the spectrum of physical phenomena engendered by the SIA, and is essential for conceiving DW and skyrmion devices owing to its coexistence with DMI (ref. 20).
CitationChiral damping of magnetic domain walls 2015 Nature Materials
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Tuning spin-orbit torques at magnetic domain walls in epitaxial Pt/Co/Pt<sub>1-x</sub> Au <sub>x</sub> trilayers.
- Authors: Hrabec A, Shahbazi K, Moore TA, Martinez E, Marrows CH
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 7
- Chiral spin torque at magnetic domain walls.
- Authors: Ryu KS, Thomas L, Yang SH, Parkin S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Tunable chiral spin texture in magnetic domain-walls.
- Authors: Franken JH, Herps M, Swagten HJ, Koopmans B
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 11
- Domain wall tilting in the presence of the Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in out-of-plane magnetized magnetic nanotracks.
- Authors: Boulle O, Rohart S, Buda-Prejbeanu LD, Jué E, Miron IM, Pizzini S, Vogel J, Gaudin G, Thiaville A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 22
- Current-driven dynamics of chiral ferromagnetic domain walls.
- Authors: Emori S, Bauer U, Ahn SM, Martinez E, Beach GS
- Issue date: 2013 Jul