Kwok, Tsz Yan
KAUST Grant NumberSA-C0040/UK-C0016
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree-dimensional (3D) temperature mapping method with high spatial resolution and acquisition rate is of vital importance in evaluating thermal processes in micro-environment. We have synthesized a new temperature-sensitive functional material (Rhodamine B functionalized Polydimethylsiloxane). By performing optical sectioning of this material, we established an advanced method for visualizing the micro-scale 3D thermal distribution inside microfluidic chip with down to 10 ms temporal resolution and 2 ~ 6 °C temperature resolution depending the capture parameters. This method is successfully applied to monitor the local temperature variation throughout micro-droplet heat transfer process and further reveal exothermic nanoliter droplet reactions to be unique and milder than bench-top experiment.
CitationWu J, Kwok TY, Li X, Cao W, Wang Y, et al. (2013) Mapping three-dimensional temperature in microfluidic chip. Scientific Reports 3. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep03321.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the financial support provided by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council Grant No. HKUST 604710 and HKUST 605411. This publication is based on work partially supported by Award No. SA-C0040/UK-C0016 made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3839638
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit
- Quantitative 3D mapping of fluidic temperatures within microchannel networks using fluorescence lifetime imaging.
- Authors: Benninger RK, Koç Y, Hofmann O, Requejo-Isidro J, Neil MA, French PM, DeMello AJ
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 1
- Microfluidic systems integrated with two-dimensional surface plasmon resonance phase imaging systems for microarray immunoassay.
- Authors: Lee KH, Su YD, Chen SJ, Tseng FG, Lee GB
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 30
- 3D-Printed High-Density Droplet Array Chip for Miniaturized Protein Crystallization Screening under Vapor Diffusion Mode.
- Authors: Liang YR, Zhu LN, Gao J, Zhao HX, Zhu Y, Ye S, Fang Q
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 5
- An integrated microfluidic chip enabling control and spatially resolved monitoring of temperature in micro flow reactors.
- Authors: Hoera C, Ohla S, Shu Z, Beckert E, Nagl S, Belder D
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Thermal chip fabrication with arrays of sensors and heaters for micro-scale impingement cooling heat transfer analysis and measurements.
- Authors: Shen CH, Gau C
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 30