KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-016-04
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper analyzes the stability of a coexistence equilibrium point of a model for competition between two stage-structured populations. In this model, for each population, competition for resources may affect any one of the following population parameters: reproduction, juvenile survival, maturation rate, or adult survival. The results show that the competitive strength of a population is affected by (1) the ratio of the population parameter influenced by competition under no resource limitation (maximum compensatory capacity) over the same parameter under a resource limitation due to competition (equilibrium rate) and (2) the ratio of interspecific competition over intraspecific competition; this ratio was previously shown to depend on resource-use overlap. The former ratio, which we define as fitness, can be equalized by adjusting organisms' life history strategies, thereby promoting coexistence. We conclude that in addition to niche differentiation among populations, the life history strategies of organisms play an important role in coexistence.
CitationFujiwara M, Pfeiffer G, Boggess M, Day S, Walton J (2011) Coexistence of competing stage-structured populations. Scientific Reports 1. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep00107.
SponsorsWe thank editor and anonymous reviewers for providing comments. MF and JW were supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-016-04, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). GP, MB, and JW were supported in part by the NSF REU program DMS-0850470. GP and SD were supported by NSF DMS-0811370.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
PubMed Central IDPMC3216590
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareALike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit
- Competitive exclusion and coexistence of species with complex life cycles.
- Authors: Loreau M, Ebenhöh W
- Issue date: 1994 Aug
- Inter-class competition in stage-structured populations: effects of adult density on life-history traits of adult and juvenile common lizards.
- Authors: San-Jose LM, Peñalver-Alcázar M, Huyghe K, Breedveld MC, Fitze PS
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Interspecific competition models derived from competition among individuals.
- Authors: Anazawa M
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Species coexistence under resource competition with intraspecific and interspecific direct competition in a chemostat.
- Authors: Saito Y, Miki T
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Mutualism between consumers and their shared resource can promote competitive coexistence.
- Authors: Lee CT, Inouye BD
- Issue date: 2010 Mar