All-in-one nanowire-decorated multifunctional membrane for rapid cell lysis and direct DNA isolation.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper describes a handheld device that uses an all-in-one membrane for continuous mechanical cell lysis and rapid DNA isolation without the assistance of power sources, lysis reagents, and routine centrifugation. This nanowire-decorated multifunctional membrane was fabricated to isolate DNA by selective adsorption to silica surface immediately after disruption of nucleus membranes by ultrasharp tips of nanowires for a rapid cell lysis, and it can be directly assembled with commercial syringe filter holders. The membrane was fabricated by photoelectrochemical etching to create microchannel arrays followed by hydrothermal synthesis of nanowires and deposition of silica. The proposed membrane successfully purifies high-quality DNA within 5 min, whereas a commercial purification kit needs more than an hour.
CitationSo H, Lee K, Murthy N, Pisano AP (2014) All-in-One Nanowire-Decorated Multifunctional Membrane for Rapid Cell Lysis and Direct DNA Isolation. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 6: 20693–20699. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/am506153y.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by the grants from the KAUST Global Collaborative Research under the Academic Excellence Alliance program, the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute of the NIH as a Program of Excellence in the Nanotechnology award (HHSN268201000043C), RO1HL096796-02, and RO1AI088023-03. The authors are also grateful for support from Marvell Nanolab and Biomolecular Nanotechnology Center at UC Berkeley where all devices were fabricated. H.S. greatly acknowledges Prof. Young Ho Seo at Kangwon National University in Korea for his valuable discussion.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
PubMed Central IDPMC4264858
CollectionsPublications Acknowledging KAUST Support
- Hierarchical silicon nanospikes membrane for rapid and high-throughput mechanical cell lysis.
- Authors: So H, Lee K, Seo YH, Murthy N, Pisano AP
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Nanowire pellicles for eukaryotic cells: nanowire coating and interaction with cells.
- Authors: Kim SK, Choksawangkarn W, Rose R, Fenselau C, Lee SB
- Issue date: 2014
- Selective doping of silicon nanowires by means of electron beam stimulated oxide etching.
- Authors: Pennelli G, Totaro M, Piotto M
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 8
- PEGylated silicon nanowire coated silica microparticles for drug delivery across intestinal epithelium.
- Authors: Uskoković V, Lee PP, Walsh LA, Fischer KE, Desai TA
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Handheld mechanical cell lysis chip with ultra-sharp silicon nano-blade arrays for rapid intracellular protein extraction.
- Authors: Yun SS, Yoon SY, Song MK, Im SH, Kim S, Lee JH, Yang S
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 7