Selection of suitable fertilizer draw solute for a novel fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis-anaerobic membrane bioreactor hybrid system
Shon, Ho Kyong
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, a protocol for selecting suitable fertilizer draw solute for anaerobic fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis membrane bioreactor (AnFDFOMBR) was proposed. Among eleven commercial fertilizer candidates, six fertilizers were screened further for their FO performance tests and evaluated in terms of water flux and reverse salt flux. Using selected fertilizers, bio-methane potential experiments were conducted to examine the effect of fertilizers on anaerobic activity due to reverse diffusion. Mono-ammonium phosphate (MAP) showed the highest biogas production while other fertilizers exhibited an inhibition effect on anaerobic activity with solute accumulation. Salt accumulation in the bioreactor was also simulated using mass balance simulation models. Results showed that ammonium sulphate and MAP were the most appropriate for AnFDFOMBR since they demonstrated less salt accumulation, relatively higher water flux, and higher dilution capacity of draw solution. Given toxicity of sulphate to anaerobic microorganisms, MAP appears to be the most suitable draw solution for AnFDFOMBR.
CitationSelection of suitable fertilizer draw solute for a novel fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis-anaerobic membrane bioreactor hybrid system 2016 Bioresource Technology
- Influence of fertilizer draw solution properties on the process performance and microbial community structure in a side-stream anaerobic fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis - ultrafiltration bioreactor.
- Authors: Kim Y, Li S, Chekli L, Phuntsho S, Ghaffour N, Leiknes T, Shon HK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Methane production in an anaerobic osmotic membrane bioreactor using forward osmosis: Effect of reverse salt flux.
- Authors: Li S, Kim Y, Phuntsho S, Chekli L, Shon HK, Leiknes T, Ghaffour N
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Evaluation of fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis for sustainable agriculture and water reuse in arid regions.
- Authors: Chekli L, Kim Y, Phuntsho S, Li S, Ghaffour N, Leiknes T, Shon HK
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1
- Mitigation of Salinity Buildup and Recovery of Wasted Salts in a Hybrid Osmotic Membrane Bioreactor-Electrodialysis System.
- Authors: Lu Y, He Z
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 1