AuthorsQuan, Li Na
Beauregard, Eric M.
Kirmani, Ahmad R.
Kim, Dong Ha
Sargent, Edward H.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Organic Electronics and Photovoltaics Group
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-02-17
Print Publication Date2016-03-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/595954
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMetal halide perovskites have rapidly advanced thin film photovoltaic performance; as a result, the materials’ observed instabilities urgently require a solution. Using density functional theory (DFT), we show that a low energy of formation, exacerbated in the presence of humidity, explains the propensity of perovskites to decompose back into their precursors. We find, also using DFT, that intercalation of phenylethylammonium between perovskite layers introduces quantitatively appreciable van der Waals interactions; and these drive an increased formation energy and should therefore improve material stability. Here we report the reduced-dimensionality (quasi-2D) perovskite films that exhibit improved stability while retaining the high performance of conventional three-dimensional perovskites. Continuous tuning of the dimensionality, as assessed using photophysical studies, is achieved by the choice of stoichiometry in materials synthesis. We achieved the first certified hysteresis-free solar power conversion in a planar perovskite solar cell, obtaining a 15.3% certified PCE, and observe greatly improved performance longevity.
CitationLigand-Stabilized Reduced-Dimensionality Perovskites 2016 Journal of the American Chemical Society
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Making and Breaking of Lead Halide Perovskites.
- Authors: Manser JS, Saidaminov MI, Christians JA, Bakr OM, Kamat PV
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 16
- Exploration of Crystallization Kinetics in Quasi Two-Dimensional Perovskite and High Performance Solar Cells.
- Authors: Zhou N, Shen Y, Li L, Tan S, Liu N, Zheng G, Chen Q, Zhou H
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 10
- High-efficiency two-dimensional Ruddlesden-Popper perovskite solar cells.
- Authors: Tsai H, Nie W, Blancon JC, Stoumpos CC, Asadpour R, Harutyunyan B, Neukirch AJ, Verduzco R, Crochet JJ, Tretiak S, Pedesseau L, Even J, Alam MA, Gupta G, Lou J, Ajayan PM, Bedzyk MJ, Kanatzidis MG
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 18
- Highly Oriented Low-Dimensional Tin Halide Perovskites with Enhanced Stability and Photovoltaic Performance.
- Authors: Liao Y, Liu H, Zhou W, Yang D, Shang Y, Shi Z, Li B, Jiang X, Zhang L, Quan LN, Quintero-Bermudez R, Sutherland BR, Mi Q, Sargent EH, Ning Z
- Issue date: 2017 May 17
- Amplified spontaneous emission in phenylethylammonium methylammonium lead iodide quasi-2D perovskites.
- Authors: Leyden MR, Matsushima T, Qin C, Ruan S, Ye H, Adachi C
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 6