Mirror-backed Dark Alumina: A Nearly Perfect Absorber for Thermoelectronics and Thermophotovotaics
Le, Khai. Q.
Cheng, Mark Ming-Cheng
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/595302
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present here a broadband, wide-angle, and polarization-independent nearly perfect absorber consisting of mirror-backed nanoporous alumina. By electrochemically anodizing the disordered multicomponent aluminum and properly tailoring the thickness and air-filling fraction of nanoporous alumina, according to the Maxwell-Garnet mixture theory, a large-area dark alumina can be made with excellent photothermal properties and absorption larger than 93% over a wide wavelength range spanning from near-infrared to ultraviolet light, i.e. 250 nm–2500 nm. The measured absorption is orders of magnitude greater than other reported anodized porous alumina, typically semi-transparent at similar wavelengths. This simple yet effective approach, however, does not require any lithography, nano-mixture deposition, pre- and post-treatment. Here, we also envisage and theoretically investigate the practical use of proposed absorbers and/or photothermal converters in integrated thermoelectronic and/or thermophotovoltaic energy conversion devices, which make efficient use of the entire spectrum of ambient visible to near-infrared radiation.
CitationMirror-backed Dark Alumina: A Nearly Perfect Absorber for Thermoelectronics and Thermophotovotaics 2016, 6:19984 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Refractory Ultra-Broadband Perfect Absorber from Visible to Near-Infrared.
- Authors: Gao H, Peng W, Chu S, Cui W, Liu Z, Yu L, Jing Z
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 12
- Polarization-sensitive perfect absorbers at near-infrared wavelengths.
- Authors: Meng L, Zhao D, Li Q, Qiu M
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 14
- A refractory metamaterial absorber for ultra-broadband, omnidirectional and polarization-independent absorption in the UV-NIR spectrum.
- Authors: Huang Y, Liu L, Pu M, Li X, Ma X, Luo X
- Issue date: 2018 May 3
- Cost-effective near-perfect absorber at visible frequency based on homogenous meta-surface nickel with two-dimension cylinder array.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Luo M, Shen S, Zhang H, Pu D, Chen L
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15
- Ultraviolet broadband plasmonic absorber with dual visible and near-infrared narrow bands.
- Authors: Gao H, Zhou D, Cui W, Liu Z, Liu Y, Jing Z, Peng W
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 1