KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/595300
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGraphene or reduced graphene oxide (rGO) membrane-based materials are promising for many advanced applications due to their exceptional properties. One of the most widely used synthesis methods for rGO membranes is vacuum filtration of graphene oxide (GO) on a filter membrane, followed by reduction, which shows great advantages such as operational convenience and good controllability. Despite vacuum-filtrated rGO membranes being widely used in many applications, a fundamental question is overlooked: are the top and bottom surfaces of the membranes formed at the interfaces with air and with the filter membrane respectively symmetric or asymmetric? This work, for the first time, reports the asymmetry of the vacuum-filtrated rGO membranes and discloses the filter membranes’ physical imprint on the bottom surface of the rGO membrane, which takes place when the filter membrane surface pores have similar dimension to GO sheets. This result points out that the asymmetric surface properties should be cautiously taken into consideration while designing the surface-related applications for GO and rGO membranes.
CitationAre vacuum-filtrated reduced graphene oxide membranes symmetric? 2016, 8 (2):1108 Nanoscale
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Vacuum-Ultraviolet Promoted Oxidative Micro Photoetching of Graphene Oxide.
- Authors: Tu Y, Utsunomiya T, Ichii T, Sugimura H
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 27
- A reduced graphene oxide nanofiltration membrane intercalated by well-dispersed carbon nanotubes for drinking water purification.
- Authors: Chen X, Qiu M, Ding H, Fu K, Fan Y
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 14
- Facile synthesis of highly conductive sulfur-doped reduced graphene oxide sheets.
- Authors: Tian Z, Li J, Zhu G, Lu J, Wang Y, Shi Z, Xu C
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 14
- Free standing reduced graphene oxide film cathodes for lithium ion batteries.
- Authors: Ha SH, Jeong YS, Lee YJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 11
- Immobilization of TiO2 nanofibers on reduced graphene sheets: Novel strategy in electrospinning.
- Authors: Pant HR, Adhikari SP, Pant B, Joshi MK, Kim HJ, Park CH, Kim CS
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 1