Large scale patterns in vertical distribution and behaviour of mesopelagic scattering layers
AuthorsKlevjer, Thor Aleksander
Benítez-Barrios, V. M.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent studies suggest that previous estimates of mesopelagic biomasses are severely biased, with the new, higher estimates underlining the need to unveil behaviourally mediated coupling between shallow and deep ocean habitats. We analysed vertical distribution and diel vertical migration (DVM) of mesopelagic acoustic scattering layers (SLs) recorded at 38 kHz across oceanographic regimes encountered during the circumglobal Malaspina expedition. Mesopelagic SLs were observed in all areas covered, but vertical distributions and DVM patterns varied markedly. The distribution of mesopelagic backscatter was deepest in the southern Indian Ocean (weighted mean daytime depth: WMD 590 m) and shallowest at the oxygen minimum zone in the eastern Pacific (WMD 350 m). DVM was evident in all areas covered, on average ~50% of mesopelagic backscatter made daily excursions from mesopelagic depths to shallow waters. There were marked differences in migrating proportions between the regions, ranging from ~20% in the Indian Ocean to ~90% in the Eastern Pacific. Overall the data suggest strong spatial gradients in mesopelagic DVM patterns, with implied ecological and biogeochemical consequences. Our results suggest that parts of this spatial variability can be explained by horizontal patterns in physical-chemical properties of water masses, such as oxygen, temperature and turbidity.
CitationLarge scale patterns in vertical distribution and behaviour of mesopelagic scattering layers 2016, 6:19873 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Distribution and diel vertical movements of mesopelagic scattering layers in the Red Sea.
- Authors: Klevjer TA, Torres DJ, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2012
- Light penetration structures the deep acoustic scattering layers in the global ocean.
- Authors: Aksnes DL, Røstad A, Kaartvedt S, Martinez U, Duarte CM, Irigoien X
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Diel vertical migration behaviour of the Northern krill (Meganyctiphanes norvegica Sars).
- Authors: Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2010
- Vertical gradients in species richness and community composition across the twilight zone in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre.
- Authors: Sommer SA, Van Woudenberg L, Lenz PH, Cepeda G, Goetze E
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Seasonal variations in vertical migration of glacier lanternfish, <i>Benthosema glaciale.</i>
- Authors: Dypvik E, Røstad A, Kaartvedt S
- Issue date: 2012