Visualizing band offsets and edge states in bilayer–monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides lateral heterojunction
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-01-18
Print Publication Date2016-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594361
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSemiconductor heterostructures are fundamental building blocks for many important device applications. The emergence of two-dimensional semiconductors opens up a new realm for creating heterostructures. As the bandgaps of transition metal dichalcogenides thin films have sensitive layer dependence, it is natural to create lateral heterojunctions (HJs) using the same materials with different thicknesses. Here we show the real space image of electronic structures across the bilayer–monolayer interface in MoSe2 and WSe2, using scanning tunnelling microscopy and spectroscopy. Most bilayer–monolayer HJs are found to have a zig-zag-orientated interface, and the band alignment of such atomically sharp HJs is of type-I with a well-defined interface mode that acts as a narrower-gap quantum wire. The ability to utilize such commonly existing thickness terraces as lateral HJs is a crucial addition to the tool set for device applications based on atomically thin transition metal dichalcogenides, with the advantage of easy and flexible implementation.
CitationVisualizing band offsets and edge states in bilayer–monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides lateral heterojunction 2016, 6:10349 Nature Communications
- Lateral heterojunctions within monolayer MoSe2-WSe2 semiconductors.
- Authors: Huang C, Wu S, Sanchez AM, Peters JJ, Beanland R, Ross JS, Rivera P, Yao W, Cobden DH, Xu X
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Bilayer Lateral Heterostructures of Transition-Metal Dichalcogenides and Their Optoelectronic Response.
- Authors: Sahoo PK, Memaran S, Nugera FA, Xin Y, Díaz Márquez T, Lu Z, Zheng W, Zhigadlo ND, Smirnov D, Balicas L, Gutiérrez HR
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 26
- Stacking orders induced direct band gap in bilayer MoSe2-WSe2 lateral heterostructures.
- Authors: Hu X, Kou L, Sun L
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 16
- Determination of band alignment in the single-layer MoS2/WSe2 heterojunction.
- Authors: Chiu MH, Zhang C, Shiu HW, Chuu CP, Chen CH, Chang CY, Chen CH, Chou MY, Shih CK, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 16
- Multifarious Interfaces, Band Alignments, and Formation Asymmetry of WSe<sub>2</sub>-MoSe<sub>2</sub> Heterojunction Grown by Molecular-Beam Epitaxy.
- Authors: Dai Y, Ren X, Zhang J, Liu J, Liu H, Ho W, Dai X, Jin C, Xie M
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 20