Hendriks, Iris E.
Sejr, Mikael K.
Blicher, Martin E.
Lagos, Nelson A.
Olsen, Ylva S.
Duarte, Carlos M.
KAUST DepartmentRed Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInvasion of ocean surface waters by anthropogenic CO2 emitted to the atmosphere is expected to reduce surface seawater pH to 7.8 by the end of this century compromising marine calcifiers. A broad range of biological and mineralogical mechanisms allow marine calcifiers to cope with ocean acidification, however these mechanisms are energetically demanding which affect other biological processes (trade-offs) with important implications for the resilience of the organisms against stressful conditions. Hence, food availability may play a critical role in determining the resistance of calcifiers to OA. Here we show, based on a meta-analysis of existing experimental results assessing the role of food supply in the response of organisms to OA, that food supply consistently confers calcifiers resistance to ocean acidification.
CitationFood supply confers calcifiers resistance to ocean acidification 2016, 6:19374 Scientific Reports
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Biomineralization changes with food supply confer juvenile scallops (Argopecten purpuratus) resistance to ocean acidification.
- Authors: Ramajo L, Marbà N, Prado L, Peron S, Lardies MA, Rodriguez-Navarro AB, Vargas CA, Lagos NA, Duarte CM
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- The geological record of ocean acidification.
- Authors: Hönisch B, Ridgwell A, Schmidt DN, Thomas E, Gibbs SJ, Sluijs A, Zeebe R, Kump L, Martindale RC, Greene SE, Kiessling W, Ries J, Zachos JC, Royer DL, Barker S, Marchitto TM Jr, Moyer R, Pelejero C, Ziveri P, Foster GL, Williams B
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 2
- How ocean acidification can benefit calcifiers.
- Authors: Connell SD, Doubleday ZA, Hamlyn SB, Foster NR, Harley CDG, Helmuth B, Kelaher BP, Nagelkerken I, Sarà G, Russell BD
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 6
- Reversal of ocean acidification enhances net coral reef calcification.
- Authors: Albright R, Caldeira L, Hosfelt J, Kwiatkowski L, Maclaren JK, Mason BM, Nebuchina Y, Ninokawa A, Pongratz J, Ricke KL, Rivlin T, Schneider K, Sesboüé M, Shamberger K, Silverman J, Wolfe K, Zhu K, Caldeira K
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 17
- Reduced resilience of a globally distributed coccolithophore to ocean acidification: Confirmed up to 2000 generations.
- Authors: Jin P, Gao K
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 15