Multifunctional Graphene/Platinum/Nafion Hybrids via Ice Templating
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of multifunctional hybrids in both films and bulk form, combining electrical and ionic conductivity with porosity and catalytic activity. The hybrids are synthesized by a two-step process: (a) ice templation of an aqueous suspension comprised of Nafion, graphite oxide, and chloroplatinic acid to form a microcellular porous network and (b) mild reduction in hydrazine or monosodium citrate which leads to graphene-supported Pt nanoparticles on a Nafion scaffold. © 2011 American Chemical Society.
CitationEstevez L, Kelarakis A, Gong Q, Da’as EH, Giannelis EP (2011) Multifunctional Graphene/Platinum/Nafion Hybrids via Ice Templating. Journal of the American Chemical Society 133: 6122–6125. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja200244s.
SponsorsThe authors thank Scott Gilje of Northrop Grumman Space Technology for providing the graphite oxide used, Dr. Deli Wang for electrochemistry expertise, and John Grazul of the Cornell Center for Materials Research for helpful discussions regarding the cryogenic techniques. We acknowledge support from the Energy Materials Center at Cornell, an Energy Frontier Research Center funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, under Award No. DE-SC0001086. This publication is based on work supported in part by Award No. KUS-C1-018-02 from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- An acetylcholinesterase biosensor based on platinum nanoparticles-carboxylic graphene-nafion-modified electrode for detection of pesticides.
- Authors: Yang L, Wang G, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 15
- Preparation of multiwalled carbon nanotubes-platinum-Nafion-glucose oxidase nanobiocomposite and its application to glucose biosensor.
- Authors: Tsai YC, Chien HY
- Issue date: 2007 Apr-May
- Highly dispersed ultrafine Pt and PtRu nanoparticles on graphene: formation mechanism and electrocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Nethravathi C, Anumol EA, Rajamathi M, Ravishankar N
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Using layer-by-layer assembly of polyaniline fibers in the fast preparation of high performance fuel cell nanostructured membrane electrodes.
- Authors: Michel M, Ettingshausen F, Scheiba F, Wolz A, Roth C
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 7
- Ferritin-templated synthesis and self-assembly of Pt nanoparticles on a monolithic porous graphene network for electrocatalysis in fuel cells.
- Authors: Qiu H, Dong X, Sana B, Peng T, Paramelle D, Chen P, Lim S
- Issue date: 2013 Feb