Ultrasonic-assisted manufacturing processes: Variational model and numerical simulations
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594289
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present a computational study of ultrasonic assisted manufacturing processes including sheet metal forming, upsetting, and wire drawing. A fully variational porous plasticity model is modified to include ultrasonic softening effects and then utilized to account for instantaneous softening when ultrasonic energy is applied during deformation. Material model parameters are identified via inverse modeling, i.e. by using experimental data. The versatility and predictive ability of the model are demonstrated and the effect of ultrasonic intensity on the manufacturing process at hand is investigated and compared qualitatively with experimental results reported in the literature. © 2011 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
CitationSiddiq A, El Sayed T (2012) Ultrasonic-assisted manufacturing processes: Variational model and numerical simulations. Ultrasonics 52: 521–529. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2011.11.004.
SponsorsThis work was fully funded by KAUST's baseline fund.
- Investigation on ultrasonic volume effects: Stress superposition, acoustic softening and dynamic impact.
- Authors: Hu J, Shimizu T, Yang M
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Numerical and experimental investigation of upsetting with ultrasonic vibration of pure copper cone tip.
- Authors: Liu Y, Han Q, Hua L, Xu C
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Investigation on Microsheet Metal Deformation Behaviors in Ultrasonic-Vibration-Assisted Uniaxial Tension with Aluminum Alloy 5052.
- Authors: Wang C, Zhang W, Cheng L, Zhu C, Wang X, Han H, He H, Hua R
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 31
- A variational constitutive model for soft biological tissues.
- Authors: El Sayed T, Mota A, Fraternali F, Ortiz M
- Issue date: 2008
- Constitutive model of 6063 aluminum alloy under the ultrasonic vibration upsetting based on Johnson-Cook model.
- Authors: Xie Z, Guan Y, Lin J, Zhai J, Zhu L
- Issue date: 2019 Jul