Amplification of Chirality through Self-Replication of Micellar Aggregates in Water
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-03-05
Print Publication Date2015-03-17
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594282
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe a system in which the self-replication of micellar aggregates results in a spontaneous amplification of chirality in the reaction products. In this system, amphiphiles are synthesized from two "clickable" fragments: a water-soluble "head" and a hydrophobic "tail". Under biphasic conditions, the reaction is autocatalytic, as aggregates facilitate the transfer of hydrophobic molecules to the aqueous phase. When chiral, partially enantioenriched surfactant heads are used, a strong nonlinear induction of chirality in the reaction products is observed. Preseeding the reaction mixture with an amphiphile of one chirality results in the amplification of this product and therefore information transfer between generations of self-replicating aggregates. Because our amphiphiles are capable of catalysis, information transfer, and self-assembly into bounded structures, they present a plausible model for prenucleic acid "lipid world" entities. © 2015 American Chemical Society.
CitationBukhryakov KV, Almahdali S, Rodionov VO (2015) Amplification of Chirality through Self-Replication of Micellar Aggregates in Water. Langmuir 31: 2931–2935. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/la504984j.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Self-replication and amplification of enantiomeric excess of chiral multifunctionalized large molecules by asymmetric autocatalysis.
- Authors: Kawasaki T, Nakaoda M, Takahashi Y, Kanto Y, Kuruhara N, Hosoi K, Sato I, Matsumoto A, Soai K
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 13
- Role of the hydrophobic effect in the transfer of chirality from molecules to complex systems: from chiral surfactants to porphyrin/surfactant aggregates.
- Authors: El-Hachemi Z, Mancini G, Ribó JM, Sorrenti A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 12
- Chiral self-assembly of designed amphiphiles: influences on aggregate morphology.
- Authors: Barclay TG, Constantopoulos K, Zhang W, Fujiki M, Petrovsky N, Matisons JG
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 13
- Structural rules for the chiral supramolecular organization of OPE-based discotics: induction of helicity and amplification of chirality.
- Authors: García F, Sánchez L
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 11
- Surfactant solutions and porous substrates: spreading and imbibition.
- Authors: Starov VM
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 29