Epitaxial growth of a monolayer WSe2-MoS2 lateral p-n junction with an atomically sharp interface
Cheng, Chia Chin
Lu, Li Syuan
Lin, Yung Chang
Chu, Chih Wei
Wei, Kung Hwa
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Nano Energy Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-07-30
Print Publication Date2015-07-31
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594275
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs) such as molybdenum sulfide MoS2 and tungsten sulfide WSe2 have potential applications in electronics because they exhibit high on-off current ratios and distinctive electro-optical properties. Spatially connected TMDC lateral heterojunctions are key components for constructing monolayer p-n rectifying diodes, light-emitting diodes, photovoltaic devices, and bipolar junction transistors. However, such structures are not readily prepared via the layer-stacking techniques, and direct growth favors the thermodynamically preferred TMDC alloys. We report the two-step epitaxial growth of lateral WSe2-MoS2 heterojunction, where the edge of WSe2 induces the epitaxial MoS2 growth despite a large lattice mismatch. The epitaxial growth process offers a controllable method to obtain lateral heterojunction with an atomically sharp interface.
CitationLi M-Y, Shi Y, Cheng C-C, Lu L-S, Lin Y-C, et al. (2015) Epitaxial growth of a monolayer WSe2-MoS2 lateral p-n junction with an atomically sharp interface. Science 349: 524–528. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.aab4097.
- Electroluminescence and photocurrent generation from atomically sharp WSe2/MoS2 heterojunction p-n diodes.
- Authors: Cheng R, Li D, Zhou H, Wang C, Yin A, Jiang S, Liu Y, Chen Y, Huang Y, Duan X
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 8
- Step-Edge-Guided Nucleation and Growth of Aligned WSe2 on Sapphire via a Layer-over-Layer Growth Mode.
- Authors: Chen L, Liu B, Ge M, Ma Y, Abbas AN, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 25
- Seed Crystal Homogeneity Controls Lateral and Vertical Heteroepitaxy of Monolayer MoS2 and WS2.
- Authors: Yoo Y, Degregorio ZP, Johns JE
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 18
- Reversible Semiconducting-to-Metallic Phase Transition in Chemical Vapor Deposition Grown Monolayer WSe2 and Applications for Devices.
- Authors: Ma Y, Liu B, Zhang A, Chen L, Fathi M, Shen C, Abbas AN, Ge M, Mecklenburg M, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 28
- Strain distributions and their influence on electronic structures of WSe<sub>2</sub>-MoS<sub>2</sub> laterally strained heterojunctions.
- Authors: Zhang C, Li MY, Tersoff J, Han Y, Su Y, Li LJ, Muller DA, Shih CK
- Issue date: 2018 Feb