KAUST DepartmentElectrical Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/594251
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper discusses the effect of atrioventricular conduction time (AVCT) on the short-term Heart Rate Variability (HRV) by computing HRV parameters using intervals between the onsets of successive P waves (PP time series) for three groups: normal, arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death (SCD) patients. A very precise wavelet transform based ECG delineator was developed to detect PP, PR and RR time series. Mean PR variation in arrhythmia and SCD group was found to be significantly high as compared to the normal group. It was observed that when PR variations in arrhythmia and SCD cases crossed a certain threshold, RR variability no longer provided a very accurate estimate of HRV. In such cases, PP variability was able to provide a better assessment of HRV. © 2011 IEEE.
CitationAhmad TJ, Ali H, Majeed SMI, Khan SA (2011) Effect of atrioventricular conduction on heart rate variability. 2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/iembs.2011.6090551.
Journal2011 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
Conference/Event name33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS 2011
- Heart rate variability in patients suffering from structural heart disease and decreased AV-nodal conduction capacity. Insights into the formation of heart rate variability.
- Authors: Schwab JO, Eichner G, Schmitt H, Schrickel J, Yang A, Balta O, Lüderitz B, Lewalter T
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Rate-related and autonomic effects on atrioventricular conduction assessed through beat-to-beat PR interval and cycle length variability.
- Authors: Leffler CT, Saul JP, Cohen RJ
- Issue date: 1994 Jan
- Moderate exercise induces different autonomic modulations of sinus and AV node.
- Authors: Schuchert A, Wagner SM, Frost G, Meinertz T
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- QT variability and HRV interactions in ECG: quantification and reliability.
- Authors: Almeida R, Gouveia S, Rocha AP, Pueyo E, Martínez JP, Laguna P
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Model of rate-dependent property in myocardial tissues as a useful algorithm for the PC-based arrhythmia generator.
- Authors: Ikeda N, Miyahara H, Takeuchi A, Tsurut A, Shiratak M
- Issue date: 1995